Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AAA Road Service - What they don't tell you

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    If you are a traveling salesperson or some other similar job where you drive a "car" for your work, isn't that vehicle technically a commercial vehicle? Now drive an SUV instead and you have a vehicle that is technically in a trucks and vans classification and they may scrutinize the claim more then for a regular sedan used for same purposes.

Bottom line is the insurance industry is about profits first, especially for the top officers or any investors, then try to get out of as many claims as possible on technicalities.
    I once was a delivery driver for a major pizza chain. Technically, if you are delivery driving, you are supposed to have commercial insurance on your vehicle, but the pizza shop doesn't tell you to do this. That would make the job unprofitable and they would never get any drivers. Nor could the pizza shop afford to pay for the insurance without making a cheese pizza cost $20. Instead they tell you if you are in an accident, take the lighted sign off your car and take your logo'ed shirt off and put it on inside out.

If you are a traveling salesperson or some other similar job where you drive a "car" for your work, isn't that vehicle technically a commercial vehicle?.
    There is likely a bit of ambiguity as to what a "commercial vehicle" is for AAA purposes - not sure if they define that or not. Here in NY one can get "commercial plates" for a pickup even if it's a personal vehicle. Then a vehicle could be personally owned and registered but used for commercial purposes and vice versa.
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Michigan. It's a beautiful penninsula, I've looked around.
    Quote Originally Posted by electrofelon View Post
    There is likely a bit of ambiguity as to what a "commercial vehicle" is for AAA purposes - not sure if they define that or not. Here in NY one can get "commercial plates" for a pickup even if it's a personal vehicle. Then a vehicle could be personally owned and registered but used for commercial purposes and vice versa.
    In Michigan, pick up trucks must have truck (commercial) plates on them, but an SUV built on the same chassis can be plated as a passenger vehicle.
    Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky

Years ago I had AAA. I had an older car that broke down for some reason don't remember what and I had to have it towed so I called AAA. They came out and took me to the garage and then dropped me off at my house. A few days later I got a letter from AAA canceling my membership. The letter said it was for excessive uses. I used it once the whole time I had it. So I called them and asked. They said my car was more than 7 years old so I only got to use it once after the car was 7 years old before they would cancel me. Apparently they had some kind of a sliding scale based on how old the car was and how many service calls you were allowed before they would cancel you. I never was able to get a straight answer from them on this point but it didn't really matter since they canceled me.
    Bob

AAA can not tow you off a major high way. I found out the hard way. Not allowed.
    I said I'll push it to the exit ramp 200' away.
    Nope, not good enough.

Only highway certified tow trucks can tow on the highway by the proper authority.

Quote Originally Posted by spark master View Post
    AAA can not tow you off a major high way. I found out the hard way. Not allowed.
    Nope, not good enough.

Only highway certified tow trucks can tow on the highway by the proper authority.
    Would be real tempting to slash tow drivers tires if he came out to where you are at and ended up telling you that.

Huntington Beach, CA (19 Hrs. 22 Min. from Winged Horses)
    Nope, not good enough.

i've had AAA for 23 years. i've carried their insurance on vehicles, home, etc for as long.

their insurance is higher premiums than others, but i've never had a bad experience with
    AAA, save one. they insure my work vehicles, all of them.

work van, pulling a trailer, blew it's tranny on imperial highway right near the 57.
    AAA dispatcher blew it, sent an 18 wheel wrecker, who refused the tow when he got
    there. they sent someone else, who also refused the tow. i ended up getting my own
    tow, paid $300 for it.

when it comes to claims, i've had clumps of them. my insurance reflected that as a result,
    the following year, but i've never had any issues, save that one tow call mentioned above.

but i had a year where an $11,000 motorcycle was claimed three times in six months.
    $10,000 and $8,000 and $3,000. during that same time, i lost a high end car stereo
    valued at $8,000. and had $2,500 worth of damage to the vehicle when the theft occurred.

the other time was last year. new caddy with 10,000 miles on it, $18,000 damage.
    two other claims in addition.

they never even blinked, or haggled. ever.

but, if it doesn't work for you, don't do it. i've got premier, with RV and motorcycle
    insurance. it says, right in the fine print, that they will tow the vehicle if it's offroad,
    if you have the $25 a year adder.

i have a plated 390 husky dirt bike, and a 500 beta dirt bike. if i get those stuck,
    you'll most likely need a gps coordinate and a snatch strap for the recovery.

they said, no problem. i believe them.
    ~New signature under construction.~
    ~~~~Please excuse the mess.~~~~

Would be real tempting to slash tow drivers tires if he came out to where you are at and ended up telling you that.
    They don't even come out. The AAA phone operators know all the DOT rules, and abide by them. They tell you straight out, get the highway dept tow service to tow you off the highway to a local road, then the AAA guy can tow you.

Call the AAA, and tell them your stuck on the NYS thruway. Let me know what they say.

Call the AAA, and tell them your stuck on the NYS thruway. Let me know what they say.
    A few years ago I had AAA tow a car off the NYS Thruway. They said "we'll have someone there within 25 minutes". And they did.
    Chris Knight
    Syracuse NY

Quando omni flunkus moritati