One pool motor controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

Hello. I've wired maybe a half dozen pools. Those pools had several things going on do I would install an exterior panel and feed whatever was needed from it.

For a single motor for an above ground pool. There will be the circuit breaker for the branch circuit and the receptacle and plug at the motor for service disconnect.

The controller or time clock. Does it have to be within sight of anything.

Does the motor disconnect also have to disconnect the controller.

I'm not sure what this job that I'm going to look at is about but hypothetically. Can the circuit go to a garage or under a deck or someplace remote from a motor mount the time clock then the power from there out to the motor receptacle ?

Thank you

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
The time clock/controller can be remote. Timers are often located in the basement or garage, and control the pump with a small contactor. The twist-lok cord and plug on the pump serves as a local service disconnect. If the pump is hardwired, there must be a local disconnect, like when installing hookups for an AC compressor. Be sure to adhere to GFCI and bonding requirements for pools.

I would suggest that the timer can stay powered at all times. Some timers will loose time if they're powered off during pool/filter service. Again, the cord and plug serves as the local disconnect. I've often seen HP-rated switches installed ahead of the pump receptacle (local to the pump) to ensure the plug is not plugged into a live circuit. Plug it in, then turn on the switch. If the motor runs, the timer was asking it to.

SceneryDriver

ritelec

Thank you scenerydriver,

So I can install the timer anywhere. Works for me. Thank you for the tip on the switch

I was concerned as far as it's location because I'm pretty sure there are situations where the controller needs to be disconnected too or with in sight of ??? I'll crack open the book and look through the ceu literature I got. But as far as this one motor, one circuit, the timer can go anywhere. Again works for me

Thanks again

ritelec

Ok. Now I'm confused (well as usual).

Disconnecting means for each controller and disconnecting means in sight of controller location ??

ritelec

So it wasn't a pool he was talking about.........although he has one, I think it's fed with a cord and theres a metal fence about 2' from it going around it that doesn't look bonded and the whole set up is questionable..

SO what he's getting is a hot tub.
http://www.costco.com/Aquaterra?-Spas-Benicia-20-jet,-4-person-Spa.product.100088609.html

what's with this thing?

He wants a number which I gave him for a receptacle to just plug it in, and also wants a number to convert it to 240v..

Is it permissible to put a receptacle either 120 v or 240 v for this unit and have a rubber chord laying on the ground to the unit???

He also has an existing concrete pad that he wants to sit it on.. I mentioned about a bond around the tub, but doesn't look like he's going for it. He pulled the permit, and I mentioned a bond wire around was not included, if the inspector wanted one that's a different story,

So back to this question.. would a receptacle be treated the same as a pool receptacle min 6' away at either 20amp, 120v or 30amp 240v and let the cord lay on the ground??

thank you

I also saw the names of 4 other electricians on his couch.... jeez......

ritelec

rethinking this..

If the tub got a 120v receptacle to plug into I'm thinking as mentioned it would need to be 6'. Same with 240v..

If there's an access area in it could the receptacle go in there?

The concrete pad next to the house.. with an exposed receptacle would the tub need that distance from the receptacle compared to moving the tub closer to the wall and maybe installing one of those ac 30 amp disconnects instead either on the wall or in the unit?

Just thinking out loud.. as mentioned he is getting 4 other numbers so I doubt I will be doing it...but you never know.

ritelec

weird specs for that unit.. at the bottom of the link are pdf downloads.. It looks like there is a 15 amp circ that they ask for, then they show it at 16 amps ???

then they say it can be field rewired for 30 amps @ 110v and also field wired for 40 amps at 230v...?

At the 110v they also say that two gfci's can't be used together... I'm sending the picture... what would they expect you to do if you are installing it outside...

Long story short, with the existing slab, and no perimeter bond, I called the owner and rescinded my verbal quote mentioning I'm not sure how the other 3 electricians or the inspector will feel about it, but I'm not willing to assume the liability for wiring the tub with out it.

Status
Not open for further replies.