Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Bonding to your electrodes

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Fl
    Posts
    16,686
    Well, maybe they're on to something.







    Roger
    Moderator

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    augusta georgia
    Posts
    21
    In diagram a, the what looks like pipe is for the ufer ground (concrete encased electrode)

    Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    augusta georgia
    Posts
    21
    Grounding / bonding gap not been my strong area, I am reading more in depth on the subject. I appreciate you guys input. So I have transformer, which I will take to the main panel. The sprinkler ripe coming out the ground, I will take it and bond it to the steel.. Ufer comes up in the mechanical room,right besides the steel, I will take it through a lug on the steel, then go to the main.. Cold water pipe I will take it to the steel. I am driving two 8 foot ground rods, which will be 8 foot apart 1/0 from the rods to main. I need to look at building steel, versus footing steel

    Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    21,385
    Quote Originally Posted by bernardmulherin1978 View Post
    In diagram a, the what looks like pipe is for the ufer ground (concrete encased electrode)
    I know what it is for. The callout refers to wire or rebar and a pipe looks like neither.

    If you didn't draw it, don't worry about it... provided you don't actually run a pipe.
    I will have achieved my life's goal if I die with a smile on my face.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    33,485
    Quote Originally Posted by bernardmulherin1978 View Post
    Grounding / bonding gap not been my strong area, I am reading more in depth on the subject. I appreciate you guys input. So I have transformer, which I will take to the main panel. The sprinkler ripe coming out the ground, I will take it and bond it to the steel.. Ufer comes up in the mechanical room,right besides the steel, I will take it through a lug on the steel, then go to the main.. Cold water pipe I will take it to the steel. I am driving two 8 foot ground rods, which will be 8 foot apart 1/0 from the rods to main. I need to look at building steel, versus footing steel

    Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk
    If it were my design I wouldn't even bother with the two ground rods. NEC does not require them.

    If there are no other electrodes present ground rods are the easiest way to provide an electrode but they are not your only choice either.

    The CEE alone, the water pipe alone, or the building steel alone - each likely has lower resistance to earth connection then two ground rods has.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Fl
    Posts
    16,686
    Quote Originally Posted by bernardmulherin1978 View Post
    The sprinkler ripe coming out the ground, I will take it and bond it to the steel.
    Take note that the sprinkler can not be part of the GES even though you might bond it per 250.104(B).
    Quote Originally Posted by bernardmulherin1978 View Post
    Ufer comes up in the mechanical room,right besides the steel, I will take it through a lug on the steel, then go to the main.
    No need to make this a continuous conductor, take note of the use of "bonding jumper" in 250.64(F), 250.68(B), and 250.68(C). You will have an unbroken GEC (sized for the largest required) to the first GE, the rest of the GE's that are present can be jumpered together.
    Quote Originally Posted by bernardmulherin1978 View Post
    Cold water pipe I will take it to the steel. I am driving two 8 foot ground rods, which will be 8 foot apart 1/0 from the rods to main.
    You will only need a #6 to the rods if you decide to use them.
    Quote Originally Posted by bernardmulherin1978 View Post
    I need to look at building steel, versus footing steel
    You will have to use both if they are present.

    Roger
    Moderator

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    21,385
    Quote Originally Posted by bernardmulherin1978 View Post
    ... I need to look at building steel, versus footing steel
    Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    ... You will have to use both if they are present.
    'They' may be one electrode under 250.52(A)(2)(2).
    I will have achieved my life's goal if I die with a smile on my face.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Fl
    Posts
    16,686
    Quote Originally Posted by Smart $ View Post
    'They' may be one electrode under 250.52(A)(2)(2).
    Agreed, but if they aren't ......

    Roger
    Moderator

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    21,385
    Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    Agreed, but if they aren't ......

    Roger
    ...he will have to connect both.
    I will have achieved my life's goal if I die with a smile on my face.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Fl
    Posts
    16,686
    Quote Originally Posted by Smart $ View Post
    ...he will have to connect both.


    Roger
    Moderator

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •