afci

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looked at a recently completed project where the customer
Called referred by a common friend looking to change out the ugly contractor track home fixtures. Went to turn off breaker because I was also installing dimmers.

No AFCI breakers. All romex and multi wire circuits.
The used those Afci recepts. No metal box all romex.

What gives am I missing something.
We're on the 2011 version of the NEC (ca 2013)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Is there a local code that permits the use of AFCI receptacle devices in lieu of circuit breakers with NM cable to the first device?

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
This is the section Infinity is referring to :

210.12 Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection.

Exception No. 1: If RMC, IMC, EMT, Type MC, or steel
armored Type AC cables meeting the requirements of
250.118 and metal outlet and junction boxes are installed
for the portion of the branch circuit between the branch circuit
over-current device and the first outlet, it shall be
permitted to install an outlet branch-circuit type AFCI at
the first outlet to provide protection for the remaining portion
of the branch circuit.

But it is an interesting question though. If it were installed using this method are you permitted to wire circuits as MWBC's ?

kwired

Electron manager
My understanding is this was a new home, recently enough that 2011 rules were the general rules, OP was contacted to come in and change some fixtures sometime after owners have been occupying the home and found no AFCI breakers and no metallic wiring methods to first outlet on circuits either. If 2011 rules applied as written - there were violations, why or how they got by inspections in this area is what he is trying to figure out.

My understanding is this was a new home, recently enough that 2011 rules were the general rules, OP was contacted to come in and change some fixtures sometime after owners have been occupying the home and found no AFCI breakers and no metallic wiring methods to first outlet on circuits either. If 2011 rules applied as written - there were violations, why or how they got by inspections in this area is what he is trying to figure out.
Yep that would be the whole enchilada. There are several inspectors none of who are newbies in this area of the

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Another possible scenario , esp with multiwire branch circuit, is the guy who wired it was unfamilar with the afci and he used a homeline Sq.D. At one time the homeline panels did not have a DP AFCI so the inspector allowed the use of the receptacles because of the cost to redo everything

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Another possible scenario , esp with multiwire branch circuit, is the guy who wired it was unfamilar with the afci and he used a homeline Sq.D. At one time the homeline panels did not have a DP AFCI so the inspector allowed the use of the receptacles because of the cost to redo everything

That would be my guess, the AFCI protection was an afterthought. Still not code compliant as outlined by the OP.

That would be my guess, the AFCI protection was an afterthought. Still not code compliant as outlined by the OP.

Can't imagine any of that. These are brand spanking new. This EC has used many a AFCI in the day. I used to work for the husband wife team before working for the present EC.
Someone trying to save money. 2 14-2 Home runs. That's 6 pieces of copper. 1 14-3 that's 4. Afci breaker 38.00. Afci recept. 25.00

Multiply by 30 homes.........
The point is who would take the risk of getting caught?

Status
Not open for further replies.