Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Production and keeping track of employees

Production and keeping track of employees

I am a electrical supervisor for a small company, I am new to supervision, been in the trade 20 years, been foreman on big jobs (foreman over certain areas)so I am new. I see a lot of problems and I am sure someone has had this one here. I base what other people should be accomplishing off of my work pace, which is average. I cant always be on the jobs all the time. Ill print the things that need to be done, I want to know what these doing, keep track of it, etc.what applications can I use, and what application is the best you have found for blue prints and keeping notes

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Yesterday I had five guys, 3 helpers and 2 electricians. 1 of the electricians is a foreman ,so I am not so worried about his production, but total the other guys all day, put 10 foot of 3-1/2 rigid up. Pulled 4-500s in 30 feet of that rigid, added two emergency lights in, which we pulled mc ,both were about 8 foot of mc a piece. And thats it, am I being to hard, I just don't think the job will get done this way and we wont make a profit. How can I handle this, we definitely need good help but there hard to get

What size jobs are you doing roughly?

Michigan. It's a beautiful penninsula, I've looked around.
    Quote Originally Posted by bernardmulherin1978 View Post
    Yesterday I had five guys, 3 helpers and 2 electricians. 1 of the electricians is a foreman ,so I am not so worried about his production, but total the other guys all day, put 10 foot of 3-1/2 rigid up. Pulled 4-500s in 30 feet of that rigid, added two emergency lights in, which we pulled mc ,both were about 8 foot of mc a piece. And thats it, am I being to hard, I just don't think the job will get done this way and we wont make a profit. How can I handle this, we definitely need good help but there hard to get

How much time did they spend actually working, and how much time did they spent in idle mode waiting for other trades or factory employees to get out of their way? How much time was spent trying to get old equipment to work correctly? How much time was spent moving stuff out of their way? You can't just judge productivity by how much of the print got installed, there are other factors, too.
    Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky

I would try and dig deeper.
    Is there a logistical problem or time delay with tools or materials or confusion about the tasks.
    Is the work being divided up when possible so you don't have 5 people hanging each emergency light, etc.
    Are the electricians working or just telling the helpers what to do.

Don't know what is tasks are coming up but for what you described so far it seems like 3 helpers is too much.
    Going on to say that 1 helper per electrician is enough. The above probably could have been done with 2 electricians and maybe 1 helper, depending on distances between areas.

I have never thought my employees work fast enough. But they probably are. I think the process in my brain that causes me to underestimate the hours required to do a job also causes me to overestimate what can get done in a day.

The only way to tell if people are working fast enough is to stand there all day and watch what they are doing. Don't interfere or comment. Just let them work. You will quickly discover if there are outside forces at work, or they are just slow.

Quote Originally Posted by cdslotz View Post
    What size jobs are you doing roughly?
    Its an average size, here is the service, its only 400 amps, the picture of the service, I am standing in the warehouse, the whole building is roughly as big as a football field, the lighting print is two pic of the lighting, its to big for one picture. This is my first job that I am fully in control, a guy started the office space and quit, and they through the prints on me, and said can you handle it. It was a disaster, I have had to go through each room to make sure nothing was left out, which there was a bunch of, lighting, power, you name it it wasn't done, switches, three -ways and singles were screwed up and a piece of 12-3 from switch and just hanging out the wall. Thats all they did, power was pulled, most hot feeds were left out, now here is another spin, we were way behind, they were suppose to be done for sheet rock, sheet rock was up when I inherited the job. We have brought it back without to much sheet rock damage, the superintendent has tremendous faith in me, my attitude has been positive, the whole time. I started keeping notes, by writing them in a notebook, then I went to Google keep and its organized, I can send the owner emails on my notes and what has been done. The past four days I've had to be at another job to fix it, same person, same contractor, in the morning I go to the first job, then the other, when I get off I go by the first job to see progress and / or get things under control. I feel like I need to manage the guys better for maximum production, I am more of a pusher, I lay everything out, pipe runs, I organize everything and put it on paper for the guys to get done, and on my lists I spell out exactly what to do and it seems there just not getting it, so what can I do different

Quote Originally Posted by active1 View Post
    I would try and dig deeper.
    Is there a logistical problem or time delay with tools or materials or confusion about the tasks.
    Is the work being divided up when possible so you don't have 5 people hanging each emergency light, etc.
    Are the electricians working or just telling the helpers what to do.

Don't know what is tasks are coming up but for what you described so far it seems like 3 helpers is too much.
    Going on to say that 1 helper per electrician is enough. The above probably could have been done with 2 electricians and maybe 1 helper, depending on distances between areas.
    Your correct, this job only needs one if I can be there or two if not two possibly three top hands, but we just cant get what we need, there has been a few who come out, but its mostly what I get from the electrician pool there coming from is, (well I got this in the way)or (what you want me to do here).and its simple, one supposedly electrician did this, this is two days work the pipe out the panel, and he knocked out some holes I needed in one other panel, I bent the kick in the rigid, five people spent all day including the guy who did the pipe, they spent all day trying to figure out how a kick was going to work in this case, cut up twenty foot of rigid, I put that in in two hours panel to 90 and the kick, me and my helper

I have EXACTLY the same problems with our crew. If you come up with something that works I'd love to hear it.

Some days I think I need to have them filling out daily sheets just so I can understand what is happening and why the pace is what it is.

One instance, here about 8 months ago, the guys were running emt off a lift at a pace I thought wasn't as fast as they could be going. Since I'm always busy during the week with phone calls and other interruptions, etc, I'm never able to get a full day in on a project like the guys can. So I decided to come in on a Saturday when no one was around to run some of the conduit they had been running. I was able to run more than twice what they had been doing. After I told them what I was able to do, they took it as a challenge and were able to get about 60-70% more ran in a day after that.

In my opinion, most of the speed in a project doesn't come from moving quickly, but instead from organization and efficiency. How organized are your guys and how well do they understand the plan at hand?

JMNSHO.

Jobs that have more people than are really needed take more labor than is necessary. It just takes more time to coordinate and get lunch and coffee breaks, and any little delay or slow down is multiplied by how many people are involved.
    Bob