Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adding employees

Adding employees

Take on more work than you can handle, and then you can spend your days desperately trying to find more employees, and your nights bidding more work you'll never be able to get to.

Seems to be working for us.

Oh it's only 10:36 PM now. I've got to get back to work.

That's sorta tongue-in-cheek, but that's how's it's gone here. There have been some late nights though to build up the work to add more employees. Now the work is out there waiting until we can find more employees to staff it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by keith gigabyte View Post
    I own a small electrical contracting business. Myself and 2 full time guys. We do 95% renovation work. Can't seem to break the 2 man barrier? Keeping all 3 of us busy is difficult sometimes. Seems we get a 2 or 3 day lull where we clean van and our storage area every couple of months.
    id like to add a 3rd guy. Any ideas on increasing business
    Something to think about.
    I've been at several different stages of contracting from 3-4 electricians to 50+ electricians. In retrospect, I always seemed to keep more of that cash flow in my own pocket when I was a smaller contractor. Growth cost money, time and stress. Kudo's in regards to your ambitions as I had them as well. IMO, a crew of 10 or so is a perfect size co. to manage yourself and still maintain a sense of sanity. Bigger isn't always better. Some of us learn the hard way, others learn from those who have "been there and done that".
    I certainly agree with other posters here. You need to be more than an electrician to operate a company. Many of us don't like it, but you have to put on your salesman hat and procure work from other G.C.'s, Bid leads, trade shows, local circulars (my favorite), Realtors, even Craig's List, Angie's List and Home Advisor.
    Let your electricians do the work. Check on them daily but try to make one stop at a GC's place of business a day. Adding 1 employee and keeping the others busy full time may only require hooking up with one new GC. Next thing you'll know, you knee deep in work and scrambling to find decent electricians to do the work. It is a that point where many of us hire electricians that we normally wouldn't hire, but because your trying to keep your customer happy, you hire them anyway, only to eventually get rid of him for his incompetency.

Best of luck in your endeavors,
    Unbridled

Quote Originally Posted by keith gigabyte View Post
    I own a small electrical contracting business. Myself and 2 full time guys. We do 95% renovation work. Can't seem to break the 2 man barrier? Keeping all 3 of us busy is difficult sometimes. Seems we get a 2 or 3 day lull where we clean van and our storage area every couple of months.
    id like to add a 3rd guy. Any ideas on increasing business
    Do more service work. Maybe look into generator installs and maintenance. With any amount of those, twice a year you spend a week or two doing nothing but generator maintenance: changing plugs, oil, filters, checking/changing the battery, clearing error codes, running the house on the generator. It's easy as long as a wasp colony hasnt moved inside the access cover (they always do: have wasp spray handy) and you enjoy doing more small engine work than electrical. One man can do that, and stay busy pulling in contract money.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!