Electrical on walkin cooler roofs with ladders

Status
Not open for further replies.

earshavewalls

I have had three different projects lately: one for a medium-sized restaurant, and two others for larger big-box or grocery stores, where the designer has decided to place electrical distribution panels on the roof of walk-in coolers to try to save room, using fixed ladders as access to the area. Up until last year, I have not seen this location used or proposed to be used for this purpose. I have not allowed this situation in any of these projects, but since I am seeing more projects with this location proposed for the equipment, I thought I should see how others see this condition, just to see if there is something I am not getting here.

The equipment is shown on the top of a walk-in Dairy/Deli cooler (structural is not an issue). The equipment in question is 1200amps, 120/208, 3-phase distribution panel, about 3-4 feet wide, and several subpanels adjacent to the main panel along with refrigeration units (2 protocol units, a water heater, and RDP unit...this raises its own issues....) in this area. The area is not enclosed, but is open to the back-of-house area in the Dairy and Deli portion of the store. The only access is a fully vertical ladder attached to the exterior wall of the walk-in cooler.

The 2011 NEC (2013 CEC), Article 110.26(C) Entrance to and Egress from Working Space, states: "At least one entrance of sufficient area shall be provided to give access to and egress from working space about electrical equipment." Egress is not defined in the Electrical Code, but IS defined in the Building Code. Means of egress is covered in Chapter 10 of the California Building Code. In Section 1009 (Stairways) mention is made to stairways (regular, winding, or spiral) are approved for egress in nearly all applications. The only items close to a "fixed ladder" that are mentioned are alternating tread devices (1009.13) that are only allowed in Group F (manufacturing), H (hazardous materials occupancy), or S (storage/warehouse), or "ship ladders" (1009.14), which are only permitted in prison facilities. The only wall is the wall where they propose to install the electrical enclosures. Otherwise, the area is wide open to the rest of the area below this level outside of the walk-in.

There are many cases where the NEC/CEC makes reference to terms that are not defined in the electrical code, but are defined in the building code. Egress, or more accurately means of egress, is covered by Chapter 10 of the California Building Code and IBC. I haven't even gotten into fall protection on the open sides of the top of the cooler.....

How do others out there see this? I have been nearby when flash-events have occurred inside electrical distribution rooms. This, thankfully, does not happen very often, but when it does, you need a quick direct way to get OUT of there ASAP. Having to get to a ladder to climb down (ladder located within 10 feet of main distribution board) to get to safety is not easy to accomplish with this condition. We may have other issues depending on the amount of refrigerant is in the system (the room may end up needing to be enclosed...then all bets are off on this location).

I value the opinions of most of the people on this site. I appreciate any input. I am afraid that if I am seeing this many of these situations coming through lately, I assume that others out there have also come across this being proposed or even possibly already installed.

Thanks,
Wayne Webb
Assistant Engineer
MEP plan check
City of Santa Clarita, CA

mgookin

I would consider that a mechanical equipment platform. Think if you had an air handler 20' up and needed access to it with dedicated workmen's space around it.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I see it as compliant with working space, but not the egress. The NEC does not directly address the egress in this case, it would be similar to installing a panel over the step risers, which could of been argued either way, until the recent code change that clarifies it.

Status
Not open for further replies.