Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 Seprate Conduit Runs?

2 Seprate Conduit Runs?

Always curious about this. Would you guys actually run 2 separate conduits from the panels to the equipment a shown or one pipe with all three circuits to a box near the equipment then branch from there. What the determining factor as to which way it would be done? Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think it depends on whether the drawings as shown are a suggestion or a requirement. If just a suggestion, do whatever makes sense, considering all the factors involved. If a requirement, than run two conduits like the drawing shows.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by petersonra View Post
    I think it depends on whether the drawings as shown are a suggestion or a requirement. If just a suggestion, do whatever makes sense, considering all the factors involved. If a requirement, than run two conduits like the drawing shows.
    Thanks. I have the same equipment setup in another closet about 150' away going to the same LP3B-LMC panel. I ask my self why would you runs conduit al the way. Wouldn't it make sense to run MC from a point near the panel to a point near the equipment if you have hung/accessible ceilings.

Unless the drawing is incorrect it looks like they're coming from two different panels. If they're from the same panel I would run one conduit.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Quote Originally Posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
    Thanks. I have the same equipment setup in another closet about 150' away going to the same LP3B-LMC panel. I ask my self why would you runs conduit al the way. Wouldn't it make sense to run MC from a point near the panel to a point near the equipment if you have hung/accessible ceilings.

Because running MC 150' in a commercial building is hack imo...probably is against the spec too...

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    Unless the drawing is incorrect it looks like they're coming from two different panels. If they're from the same panel I would run one conduit.
    It was clarified ...they are coming from same panel. Panel schedule indicates so as well.

Quote Originally Posted by cdslotz View Post
    Because running MC 150' in a commercial building is hack imo...probably is against the spec too...
    what's wrong with MC? It is perfectly acceptable by code. As long as the spec does not prohibit it and it is installed in an appropriate manner who cares? It's not a beauty contest, and probably no one is going to see it anyway once the install is complete. Besides, MC has its own kind of beauty.
    Bob

what's wrong with MC? It is perfectly acceptable by code. As long as the spec does not prohibit it and it is installed in an appropriate manner who cares? It's not a beauty contest, and probably no one is going to see it anyway once the install is complete. Besides, MC has its own kind of beauty.
    Agree

I bet a dollar to a donut that those specs allow MC only in furred walls and fixture whips, ....just a guess
    The tags on those circuits show 3/4"C ......do you just ignore that?
    It also leads me to believe there is a 3/4" minimum spec....

Just as an in-house company policy, we do not run MC home runs, and we use a hard pipe main trunk for MWBC's with J-boxes and drops to furred walls and up to fixture whips

Quote Originally Posted by cdslotz View Post
    Guess I am a hack then.
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek