Thread: Ground Fault on 50 watt, 12 volt, Grounded Photovoltaic System

Ground Fault on 50 watt, 12 volt, Grounded Photovoltaic System

Hello,

I am working with a 50 watt, 12 V DC, grounded, photovoltaic system. The parts and pieces are being purchase separately and a panel is being constructed. Most of the parts and pieces are DIN rail mounted. The Charge Controller is Campbell Scientific - CH200 with a Campbell Scientific - BP24 battery and a Campbell Scientific - CR800-XT datalogger. The photovoltaic panel is capable of producing 50 watts.

I have two questions that I am hoping somebody can help me with.
    1. Is there any provision in the NEC that excludes a photovoltaic system of this size from the requirements of 690.5(A) - Ground-Fault Detection and Interruption?
    2. If Ground Fault-Detection and Interruption is required, does anybody have a suggestion for a very small and inexpensive Ground-Fault Detector and Interrupter? What I have found comes at a price of about $700 and that just doesn't seem reasonable for a system of this size.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Steve

Answer to Post

I will respond to my own post I found an exception in 690.5 that fits our application. This alleviates the need for GF detection and interruption.

Arc Fault

Glad you found your answer. Keep in mind that unless your doing micro inverters, you do have to have arc fault protection depending on the version they are enforcing in your area. Rapid Shutdown also could be required. Not always a big deal, depending on the equipment your using.