NEC 314.16 safety concern: uncovered junction boxes and overfill

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluejeans

I have a friend who is renting a place with these junction boxes and her landlord feels it is safe, even had licensed electricians who say it was, however I think it is a major safety concern and definitely not to code. Can you please help me explain how it violates code or point me in the right direction please. They at least require a sealed covering correct? Thank you.

Attachments

• breaker box2.jpg
    breaker box2.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 4

electricalist

Its only a matter of time.
what do you see that is unsafe and a code violation? Seriously I want to help. If you state how it bothers you and why maybe you will get some sound advice before this thread is closed..
Its only a matter of time.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I think a cover is required. Other than that I see nothing obviously unsafe or not to code.

Unfortunately, without more context it is hard to make a truly informed comment.

bluejeans

The fact that there is no cover bothers me and I was told there is potentially to many wires for the size of the box. Also, is located next to a cracked exterior window. What if moisture got in?

kwired

Electron manager
The one plastic box with a metal cover is safer because it has a cover, but then takes another safety and code hit because that cover is not grounded.

As far as code requiring a cover for the boxes pictured - see 314.25.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
there seems to be a #6 bond wire exiting the opening on the surface.

appears almost like a small panel was removed and boxes put in
their place. aside from a pretty fugly install, there's a bit in the code
about boxes being flush within 1/16" of drywall. if i had to fix it, i'd
put four extension rings on the boxes, patch the drywall to cover all
the exposed romex, and put covers on the boxes, and call it a day.

electricalist

The fact that there is no cover bothers me and I was told there is potentially to many wires for the size of the box. Also, is located next to a cracked exterior window. What if moisture got in?
Then the thing to do is ask the owner to put plate covers on them. Yes I agree they should. The lower 2 g box is fine, the one above it looks ok. I can't see to count the wires and sizes but still it's not tragic.
In these situations I think it's not easy and I mean no disrespect, but it's the place they choose to live . should it be safe? yes ,will it always be to their liking , maybe maybe not.
If I was unable to accept that I chose the place and an electrician said its fine, then pose to the owner having a second opinion that the tenant and owner split the cost each agree to accept the verdict.

kwired

Electron manager
If you are concerned about moisture getting in - you need to be concerned with more then just a standard cover designed for this type of box, as well as the NM wiring method that is not intended for wet locations. If you can't get the slumlord to go to the bank to set up financing for a 50 cent cover for the box you probably are not getting the window fixed either.:(

Then the thing to do is ask the owner to put plate covers on them. Yes I agree they should. The lower 2 g box is fine, the one above it looks ok. I can't see to count the wires and sizes but still it's not tragic.
In these situations I think it's not easy and I mean no disrespect, but it's the place they choose to live . should it be safe? yes ,will it always be to their liking , maybe maybe not.
If I was unable to accept that I chose the place and an electrician said its fine, then pose to the owner having a second opinion that the tenant and owner split the cost each agree to accept the verdict.
This owner can not be dealt with if he can't afford or see the value of putting a cover on the boxes in question here, time to look for different housing IMO.

electricalist

I was leading the questions to the same outcome.
Once the op stated its not code compliant and she wasn't happy with it,,then it's a stalemate.
Never state anything as done in incorrectly without knowing first. Qualifying discontent with " because it's not code " set her up to lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.