SE Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

geochurchi

Occupation
Retired electrician
Hi, according go article 550-15 E,can SE be used to supply a range or dyer,? My understanding is that now only a 4 wire cord can be used yo connect the appliance.
Geo

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Hi, according go article 550-15 E,can SE be used to supply a range or dyer,? My understanding is that now only a 4 wire cord can be used yo connect the appliance.
Geo

according to NEC 2014 SE shall not be used to connect a range or dryer.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I don't see that as a change in '14. The wording was the almost the same in earlier Codes.
Note that the rule does not prevent SE or NM to be installed between the panel and branch circuit device or receptacle.
The appliance can, as always, be cord & plug connected.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I don't see that as a change in '14. The wording was the almost the same in earlier Codes.
Note that the rule does not prevent SE or NM to be installed between the panel and branch circuit device or receptacle.
The appliance can, as always, be cord & plug connected.

Sorry Gus, I didn't mean to imply that it was new in the code. Only that it could not be used.

geochurchi

Occupation
Retired electrician
SE

SE

OK,I get that, but where is the requirement that a 4 conductor cord be used to connect the appliance,and where is the ground connected?
Geo.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Where does uit state that a 4 wire SER cable cannot be used for a range on a mobile home? I have not looked but that seems odd

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Dennis, as I read it there is no problem using SER as a wiring method to the receptacle or disconnect device. It just can't be used as a "flexible whip" (my term) to the appliance.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Dennis, as I read it there is no problem using SER as a wiring method to the receptacle or disconnect device. It just can't be used as a "flexible whip" (my term) to the appliance.

I agree totally. At first I thought the OP was asking about the use of SE cable-- He said " Can SE cable be used to supply a range or dryer. The answer to that is Yes since he did not state SEU. But then with the second half it seems like he was talking about SEU-- not sure now. :)

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I don't know if the code requires a range to be connected with a 4-wire cord. The code requires a new range receptacle to have both a ground and a neutral. When you wire the receptacle to code that forces you to use a 4-wire cord.

If you buy a stove and you have an old 3-wire receptacle it is perfectly legal to use a 3-wire cord. For this purpose there will be a jumper between the neutral and ground.

The range should have three terminals for your two hots and neutral, then a separate terminal or green screw for the ground. I suppose a really old range may not have the ground, but I am more inclined to believe it is missing a neutral terminal.

david

I don't know if the code requires a range to be connected with a 4-wire cord. The code requires a new range receptacle to have both a ground and a neutral. When you wire the receptacle to code that forces you to use a 4-wire cord.

If you buy a stove and you have an old 3-wire receptacle it is perfectly legal to use a 3-wire cord. For this purpose there will be a jumper between the neutral and ground.

The range should have three terminals for your two hots and neutral, then a separate terminal or green screw for the ground. I suppose a really old range may not have the ground, but I am more inclined to believe it is missing a neutral terminal.

Remember the OP was asking about an article 550 application there should have never been a 3-wire rec. when dealing with Mobile Homes/ Manufactured Homes

geochurchi

Occupation
Retired electrician
SE

SE

The way I understand it is that the grounded conductor can not be used as a ground on the loadside of the service, in which case SER would be required for these appliances,and a 4 conductor cord would be required,unless it was an existing condition.
Geo

kwired

Electron manager
Remember the OP was asking about an article 550 application there should have never been a 3-wire rec. when dealing with Mobile Homes/ Manufactured Homes
Yes, even in 1960's and 1970's mobile homes they always had 4 wire receptacles for ranges and dryers from my observations - so I kind of assume that code always required separate EGC in mobile homes to a range or a dryer though most every other place used the grounded conductor for bonding the appliance frame back then.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Yes, even in 1960's and 1970's mobile homes they always had 4 wire receptacles for ranges and dryers from my observations - so I kind of assume that code always required separate EGC in mobile homes to a range or a dryer though most every other place used the grounded conductor for bonding the appliance frame back then.

How many had the bonding 'strap' removed at the appliance? :happysad:

kwired

Electron manager
How many had the bonding 'strap' removed at the appliance? :happysad:
Since I was very young or not even born yet I have to guess that if the appliance was sold with the home it had a pretty good chance of being done properly, if the appliance were installed after the home left the plant - all bets are off but I think the odds were pretty high that the bonding strap hardly was ever removed until sometime after 1996 NEC was in effect - but even then was probably only a slight increase in proper application - most of correct installs were and still are probably done by "electricians". There may be a few appliance installers that know what to do but not necessarily why they do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.