flexible cord without plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.

S'mise

In an industrial setting we have, drill presses, grinders, belt sanders etc. that are hooked up with 4 to 6 ft of flexible cord attached directly to the bottom of 30 amp disconnects that are along the wall.
If the ampacity of the cord is less than 30 amps, I believe they require attachment plugs.
Even if the cord is sized properly, would this install be a violation?
Working space? Physical protection?

S'mise

400.7(b) requires a plug for frequent interchange/ready removal for maintenance or repair.
Not real clear on 400.6(a)(3),(6) and (8). Our equipment is not portable, and does not require frequent interchange. So I'm not sure that applies.

iwire

Staff member
400.7(b) requires a plug for frequent interchange/ready removal for maintenance or repair.
Not real clear on 400.6(a)(3),(6) and (8). Our equipment is not portable, and does not require frequent interchange. So I'm not sure that applies.

First you have to determine what reason cord was used in place of chapter 3 wiring.

So why was cord used?

Once you do that, you can figure out what code section allows you to do that (if one does) and then you can tell if the NEC requires a cord cap.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree with Bob. 400.7(A)(6) allows flexible cord for the reason given. If that is not the reason then IMO you cannot use the cord.

S'mise

Well, I don't know. I understand why cord might be used because of vibration, but I would say drill presses and such do not require frequent interchange.
It's also not feasible to hard pipe to something like that.

iwire

Staff member
Dennis, just saying the cable can't be less than the upstream ocpd.

I cant think of any exception or rule in the NEC that allows us to 'undersize cord' based on it being hardwired vs plugged in.

I think you have to use cord sized to the overcurrent device in most circumstances.

Of course factory installed cords do not fall under the NEC size requirements so manufactures can use smaller cords than we in the field do.

S'mise

Maybe I'm answering my own question. So this would fall under 400.7(a)7 but an attachment plug would not be required?

S'mise

I disagree with post 6 because it might not need frequent interchange, but to minimize vibration per 400.7(a)(7).

I agree you can't underside the cable, my main hesitation was pertaining to wither or not it needs a attachment plug.
Thanks for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.