Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32

Thread: Customers lie, part deux

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Fl
    Posts
    16,595
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenje View Post
    I don't make a move until I get a cut sheet from the manufacture for whatever is being spec'd out for the project. It was amazing how many times the verbal information was completely wrong.
    Same here and if there is a problem after that it's change order / supplement time.

    Roger
    Moderator

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Central NC
    Posts
    1,723
    I recall wiring a small restaurant. Owner was getting a pizza dough mixer second hand. He was a rude character to begin with and got mad when I questioned voltage/amperage of the mixer. He kept saying "it's 220", over and over. I got further info from his partner and called a local dealer about the model and power needs. Guy came over screaming at me that it was 220. I said "220 with a neutral or without, 220 15 amp, 20 amp, 30 amp or 50 amp, 220 double pole or 220 3 phase, straight blade or twistlock?". I am a mild mannered easygoing person, but he was dangerously close to getting a bender across his mouth. Later, he called the boss that we were loafing on the job and stretched out our lunch breaks. The partner spoke up on our behalf. A few weeks later, he absconded with all the money, cheating his partner.

    This was an extreme case but I have seen the problem repeatedly. Always best to get info from the equipment supplier, and even then they may end up getting another model because one wasn't available. I've had to repull wire several times for increased power needs. I learned to always use 3/4 conduit instead of 1/2, price difference is slight. I have sometimes insisted on pulling wire when equipment arrives, to only do it once.

    For as long as I can remember, drop in ovens or wall ovens were always 30 amp. Never, ever saw a larger one in a residence. Got a call back to one job that the oven needed a 40 amp ckt. Was some Bosch model and took a long time to find the nameplate. Sure enough, 40 amp. All ovens after that, I priced and installed for 40 amp.
    Yes, I'll be happy to do a first class job for less than anyone else and take a dollar a week for 10 years.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Clarkesville, Georgia
    Posts
    2,000
    Story a counterman at SH told me a long time ago

    Had a customer needing 25' of 220 wire

    Evidently customer got rude when counterman started asking about amps and sizes

    So counterman cut him 25' of 10/3

    And never saw him again
    Dave Ruth
    Ready Electric

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Tampa, FL, USA
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
    For as long as I can remember, drop in ovens or wall ovens were always 30 amp. Never, ever saw a larger one in a residence. Got a call back to one job that the oven needed a 40 amp ckt. Was some Bosch model and took a long time to find the nameplate. Sure enough, 40 amp. All ovens after that, I priced and installed for 40 amp.
    A GC I routinely do work for asked me to go to a kitchen remodel he was doing and run a new circuit for a microwave. He was there to help fish the nice yellow #12 Romex down the wall and into a cabinet. A week later he calls and says the microwave is a 30 amp 240 volt beast and I need to come over and put the correct receptacle and wire in. When I inquired about payment for the change I was told there would be no additional payment because I should have checked the microwave specs before installing the circuit. Technically true, but I've never heard of a 240v 30 amp MW in a house and haven't seen one since. A little heads up would have been nice.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Atlanta,GA
    Posts
    5,409
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    The dishwasher has its own heater and they don't wash their hands much, so 40 sounds fine to me.

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

    40 gallon water heater sound fine to me if that's what they bought.

    For food service the health department gets to decide what's really needed. I find that many people that open a small food service type of shop forget about health inspections.
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Atlanta,GA
    Posts
    5,409
    Quote Originally Posted by Coppersmith View Post
    A GC I routinely do work for asked me to go to a kitchen remodel he was doing and run a new circuit for a microwave. He was there to help fish the nice yellow #12 Romex down the wall and into a cabinet. A week later he calls and says the microwave is a 30 amp 240 volt beast and I need to come over and put the correct receptacle and wire in. When I inquired about payment for the change I was told there would be no additional payment because I should have checked the microwave specs before installing the circuit. Technically true, but I've never heard of a 240v 30 amp MW in a house and haven't seen one since. A little heads up would have been nice.
    Was the microwave on site when you installed the circuit? Did they give you a model number?

    If he or the owner purchased the microwave after I installed the circuit they would be paying for for the change.
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Huntington Beach, CA (19 Hrs. 22 Min. from Winged Horses)
    Posts
    6,008
    well, we all have customers that have alternative facts.

    went to do a lighting cert. contractor has 300 sq ft room
    with a light switch. no dimming, no occupancy sensor, a switch.

    so i explain what it has to have, and leave. he calls a week later.
    says it's all done correctly. i stop by again.

    he put an occupancy sensor in the ceiling. didn't hook it up.
    still and on - off switch on wall.

    i call him up, and explain it needs to work, and it still doesn't dim.

    a week goes by, and i get a text message:

    Name:  IMG_7901.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  10.7 KB

    as soon as i can read the notes, i'll get back to him.
    ~New signature under construction.~
    ~~~~Please excuse the mess.~~~~

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Coppersmith View Post
    A GC I routinely do work for asked me to go to a kitchen remodel he was doing and run a new circuit for a microwave. He was there to help fish the nice yellow #12 Romex down the wall and into a cabinet. A week later he calls and says the microwave is a 30 amp 240 volt beast and I need to come over and put the correct receptacle and wire in. When I inquired about payment for the change I was told there would be no additional payment because I should have checked the microwave specs before installing the circuit. Technically true, but I've never heard of a 240v 30 amp MW in a house and haven't seen one since. A little heads up would have been nice.
    I vaguely remember wiring a 240V microwave unit several years ago. I believe it was a GE Advantium oven/microwave, but I couldn't find any specs on it to post here.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Placerville, CA, USA
    Posts
    17,991
    Quote Originally Posted by goldstar View Post
    I vaguely remember wiring a 240V microwave unit several years ago. I believe it was a GE Advantium oven/microwave, but I couldn't find any specs on it to post here.
    When you say "oven/microwave" do you mean that it has conventional resistance heating elements too? I would not call that a 240V microwave in the context of this thread.
    The Advantium model I see described on the web has halogen incandescent heating elements to avoid warmup time and a convection fan in addition to the microwave portion. 208 or 240V at 30A.
    I would call that an oven with microwave added rather than a souped up microwave!

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,338
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    When you say "oven/microwave" do you mean that it has conventional resistance heating elements too? I would not call that a 240V microwave in the context of this thread.
    The Advantium model I see described on the web has halogen incandescent heating elements to avoid warmup time and a convection fan in addition to the microwave portion. 208 or 240V at 30A.
    I would call that an oven with microwave added rather than a souped up microwave!
    Sorry. Maybe I wasn't clear on that. When we were renovating the kitchen I was told it was a microwave unit so I ran a # 12/2 to the MBP. Somewhere around the time when the appliances were being delivered I was told (by the HO) that it was an Advantium combination microwave-convection oven. At that point he gave me the specs and I had to rip out the 20A (2-wire) circuit and install a 30A (3-wire) circuit. I don't remember the model # and I couldn't find it on the Internet. Looking back the installation was in 2001. The whole point is that we never seem to get the correct info from HO's up front.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •