Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Customers lie, part deux

If we get burned in the way many are talking about here, then it is our own fault, or our own choice. Disagreements like those listed above have been going on since electricity began being installed in houses. If you don't make sure you have written documentation and proper exclusions, then shame on you. If you decide to roll over on something that is standard, like the microwave, then that is also on you. Lowes lists their largest microwave as 1200 watts. If a customer installs a combination convection/microwave, they can pay to get a larger circuit, or buy a microwave. Or I can decide that the GC is important enough to me to roll over. Still on me.

I know what I don't know, and I know where to go to find it!

Lesson learned, never ask the client squat, you send the GC a RFI and let them figure it out between the plumbers, client and engineers, thats what hes there for.

For the last year or so we require an appliance model number before pulling any wire in kitchen remodels.

There had been a couple that the microwave changed from a standard 20a 120v to a 30a 240v convection type.

And it seems cook tops and ovens have reversed amperage requirements, for the longest time the oven draw was more than the cook top, but with induction cook tops that's not the case.

Isn't there some way one can put into contract language something like this:

"residences wired for residential use items. Commercial or industrial cookware, or other similarly non-residential items, are not covered by standard rewire, unless notified in writing beforehand".

If your customer decides he wants an instant pizza warmer ala 7-11, or a $11,000 espresso machine, that should be spec'd up front. Not fishing in 10/3 after the fact.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post
    Isn't there some way one can put into contract language something like this:

"residences wired for residential use items. Commercial or industrial cookware, or other similarly non-residential items, are not covered by standard rewire, unless notified in writing beforehand".

If your customer decides he wants an instant pizza warmer ala 7-11, or a $11,000 espresso machine, that should be spec'd up front. Not fishing in 10/3 after the fact.
    Worse yet they get that commercial appliance and it is three phase and you have single phase service

Had that happen more often on small restaurants, and purchasing of used equipment though.

A few homeowners think ahead but not many. They have no concept of what we have to do and how it is major surgery to backtrack. I once had a woman ask if her remodeled kitchen would have the countertop devices mounted up under the cabinets. This as I was putting devices in as usual. I said "no, too late".
    Yes, I'll be happy to do a first class job for less than anyone else and take a dollar a week for 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Worse yet they get that commercial appliance and it is three phase and you have single phase service

Had that happen more often on small restaurants, and purchasing of used equipment though.
    I've seen lots of small businesses without 3 phase. Another thing the layman knows nothing about and doesn't think to inquire about. BTW, that was another issue I had to work with in the restaurant with the irate owner. They had 240 3 phase and we were installing several 120 volt appliance ckts. I got flak from him about me showing a helper how to ID the high leg and skip it for 120's.
    Yes, I'll be happy to do a first class job for less than anyone else and take a dollar a week for 10 years.

My brother taught me that customers aren't stupid, they don't lie, and they're never wrong. They just speak a different language.

Anyway, he ran a national call center and probably knows more about customer service than I do, but when working on a home, you also need to ask all homeowners or at least the handy one.

We were doing some wiring and asked about access to the attic above the garage, and we were told there wasn't any. So we got permission and cut through the drywall to make our own crawlway. Once in the attic, we found a full-sized attic door that opened into the back of an upstairs closet. When the other homeowner got home, he was irate that we'd cut a hole in his garage ceiling, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark A. View Post
    My brother taught me that customers aren't stupid, they don't lie, and they're never wrong. They just speak a different language.

We were doing some wiring and asked about access to the attic above the garage, and we were told there wasn't any. So we got permission and cut through the drywall to make our own crawlway. Once in the attic, we found a full-sized attic door that opened into the back of an upstairs closet. When the other homeowner got home, he was irate that we'd cut a hole in his garage ceiling, of course.
    So the language the first homeowner spoke was "Duhhhhhhh".

Quote Originally Posted by Coppersmith View Post
    So the language the first homeowner spoke was "Duhhhhhhh".
    Scott Adams, of Dilbert fame, had a contest to find a word that members of Dogbert's New World Order (technocrats) could use to make fun of others without them realizing it.
    The winner was "in-duhh-vidual".

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk