Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Customers lie, part deux

Customers lie, part deux

I'm building out a smoothie shop. Three-phase panel. The prints show a water heater, but give no specs. I ask the owner how big a breaker I need for it. "20 amps" he says. "Seems small for your needs", I say. "I'll ask the plumber", he says. A while later he texts me. "40 amps". OK, I think that sounds reasonable. But, I remember the three-phase panel. "Hmm, is it a single phase or three phase water heater?", I wonder. Rather than order the wrong breaker, I drive down there to see. I bring a spool of #8 and some 3/4" EMT. I'm either running 2 hots or three. Either way it fits in the 3/4". Yup, 40 alright. 40 gallons. Single-phase 25 amp breaker. Good thing I also have a roll of 10/2 MC.
    Last edited by Coppersmith; 09-02-17 at 10:20 PM.

The dishwasher has its own heater and they don't wash their hands much, so 40 sounds fine to me.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

They didn't lie. That's what you get for asking a couple of people who have no clue. Might as well have asked the carpenter for his opinion too.

-Hal

Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    They didn't lie. That's what you get for asking a couple of people who have no clue. Might as well have asked the carpenter for his opinion too.
    I agree. You're lucky you even got somewhat of an intelligent response. Most don't care what the amperage requirement is - they just want it included in the base price.

-Hal

Roger

They didn't lie. That's what you get for asking a couple of people who have no clue. Might as well have asked the carpenter for his opinion too. -Hal
    Quote Originally Posted by goldstar View Post
    I agree. You're lucky you even got somewhat of an intelligent response. Most don't care what the amperage requirement is - they just want it included in the base price.

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    Lie was meant more like mislead. (Lie makes a better headline tho ) Now fess up, you all have been misled by a client causing extra cost to you.

To be fair (to me), Owner has been intimately involved in the project including going over blueprints with me. He consulted his plumber, (the guy that installed the water heater) and gave me an answer. I would expect the correct answer in that situation.

I'm always inclined to believe that a customer did not outright lie to me. They just don't have a clue, as was mentioned. I had a situation a few days ago (for a friend mind you) to install an outdoor receptacle. He said "there was power wiring running in that area". When I got there I found a run of completely sealed 3/4" PVC running along the house and then down into the dirt for a fish pond. It's tough to come prepared for something like that. Needless to say, the receptacle got installed somewhere else.

They lie, You are being too nice. They know what is going on but they don't care. In your case the customer probably never got the answer from the plumber and gave you one anyway. That answer was still a lie.

You folks are being to kind.
    I would not call a customer a liar to their face, however I have no issue calling them one here.

-Hal
    After getting burned a few times in the past, I don't make a move until I get a cut sheet from the manufacture for whatever is being spec'd out for the project. It was amazing how many times the verbal information was completely wrong.

Huntington Beach, CA (19 Hrs. 22 Min. from Winged Horses)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coppersmith View Post
    I'm building out a smoothie shop. Three-phase panel. The prints show a water heater, but give no specs. I ask the owner how big a breaker I need for it. "20 amps" he says. "Seems small for your needs", I say. "I'll ask the plumber", he says. A while later he texts me. "40 amps". OK, I think that sounds reasonable. But, I remember the three-phase panel. "Hmm, is it a single phase or three phase water heater?", I wonder. Rather than order the wrong breaker, I drive down there to see. I bring a spool of #8 and some 3/4" EMT. I'm either running 2 hots or three. Either way it fits in the 3/4". Yup, 40 alright. 40 gallons. Single-phase 25 amp breaker. Good thing I also have a roll of 10/2 MC.
    well, i dunno what it's like driving around there, but
    around here...... i'd grab a 2 pole, a 3 pole, a roll of
    #6 that was laying in the shop, and some thinwall.
    that'll get me there, no matter what size the thing is.
    i can return the unused breaker, or throw it on the
    shelf for the next time.

if i'm an hour and a half from home, and have to go
    on an easter egg hunt for something, it becomes
    not so much fun. if i get there, and have to leave for
    an hour and a half, go to three places looking for a breaker,
    and say bad words, it's not worth the grief.
    ~New signature under construction.~
    ~~~~Please excuse the mess.~~~~