Troubleshooting AFCI nuisance trippings question

Status
Not open for further replies.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
To answer and eariler relpy, the blubs I'm using are R20 flood light blubs.
A plain old incandescent R20 flood, lacking the electronics in CFLs or LEDs, likely rules out the flood lamp, itself, as a possible faux arc signal source.

subman

Update 2

For those who haven't been following this thread. I'm having nuisance AFCI tripping on a lighting circuit I installed Air tight Halo H991Cat fixtures. (5 of them). I isolated each one, one at a time, from the feed. No tripping. I then connected one at a time. Once I installed the bulb, the AFCI tripped. They are regular R 20 flood bulbs, nothing fancy. Is there something I'm missing?

I'm concluding there is a problem with the fixture, but all 5? I inspected the internal wiring on each one, making sure the neutral and ground weren't touching. I installed Halo non ic fixtures, 4 inch fixtures elsewhere in the house, no problems with trippings. Any help you can give me is appreciated.

electricalist

It could be stapled too tight and trips when the neutral has a load . I'd wire them all to pass through til the last can ,then put the bulb in the last can if it trips work my way back towards the first disconnecting the previous.
Or better start at the first can , stapled shorts seem to be more from panel to 1 st location than to each can.

subman

Final update

Final update

Haven't been able to log on recently. Just to update my problem. I bypassed 2 feeds from the panel to the first box in each of the circuits I was having trippings in, one for the master bedroom lights and the other for the upstairs closet circuit and had no AFCI trippings once a load was applied.

I ran new feeds and havent had a problem since. thanks to everyone for thier help.

Status
Not open for further replies.