Thread: lead times in the wake of Harvey

lead times in the wake of Harvey

I've heard that lead times are being affected across the board owing to increased demand due to Hurricane Harvey. Whereas one might expect a problem if they had a factory flooded, apparently a sudden increased demand is also having a significant affect. I've put out feelers to a variety of vendors. Wanted to know what this group has heard.

Much appreciated,

Mike
    Mike Shields, PE
    Boston, MA

A sudden increased demand only from those with no spares at hand, being the consequence of company policy, if any.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahib View Post
    A sudden increased demand only from those with no spares at hand, being the consequence of company policy, if any.
    Or, equally likely, from those whose spares have been destroyed by flooding too!

We just got that message from two different transformer suppliers. They are saying they want us to identify any orders that relate to Harvey recovery so they can get priority. Not stated, but implied in that request, is that if your order is NOT related to Harvey recovery, you are the one who is going to get bumped.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

Quote Originally Posted by Jraef View Post
    We just got that message from two different transformer suppliers. They are saying they want us to identify any orders that relate to Harvey recovery so they can get priority. Not stated, but implied in that request, is that if your order is NOT related to Harvey recovery, you are the one who is going to get bumped.
    everything will end up being related to harvey recovery.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by petersonra View Post
    everything will end up being related to harvey recovery.
    Until Irma takes over!

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    Or, equally likely, from those whose spares have been destroyed by flooding too!
    I wonder how hard it would be to clean up big transformers that might have gotten wet and make them safe for reuse as opposed to having to buy new ones.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by petersonra View Post
    I wonder how hard it would be to clean up big transformers that might have gotten wet and make them safe for reuse as opposed to having to buy new ones.
    For the ones that didn't blow up, that's what's done quite a bit, but not in the field for many of them. The transformers that get serious water intrusion must be baked out for a long time at elevated temperatures and virtually no humidity, which is nearly impossible in the field.

I watched some videos of Miami taken from atop a building during the eye wall passing, it was incredible how many flashes were taking place all through the landscape from transformers blowing up.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

For the ones that didn't blow up, that's what's done quite a bit, but not in the field for many of them. The transformers that get serious water intrusion must be baked out for a long time at elevated temperatures and virtually no humidity, which is nearly impossible in the field.

I watched some videos of Miami taken from atop a building during the eye wall passing, it was incredible how many flashes were taking place all through the landscape from transformers blowing up.
    OTOH oil filled transformers with a good vent seal should be relatively easy to clean up, yes?

Isn't likely the explosions were from conductors making contact and from expulsion fuses operating? Transformers would really have no reason to simply explode, and if they did shouldn't there be flaming oil?

For the POCO workers, that restore power, how many pole top transformers will need to be replaced?
    Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.