Ground removal danger

Status
Not open for further replies.

geochurchi

Occupation
Retired electrician
I am in a condo complex, while looking at my surge suppressor I noticed it indicated on ground connection,upon further investigation I found the ground clamp loosely connected to a rebar driven into what I hope is the footing,at any rate this needs to be reconnected ,new clamp and connections cleaned up,what is the danger of removing the clamp,cleaning up the rod?
Geo

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It is possible that a small amount of current is flowing on the GEC to the electrode. You could disconnect the other end first just to be safe. If this were a city system, water pipe electrode there would definitely be some current flowing on the GEC.

geochurchi

Occupation
Retired electrician
I have removed and replaced grounds before and never really gave it much thought,until I read an article somewhere that it could be dangerous situation.
Geo

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Well I doubt if thats the issue. The SPD is looking for a ground to the service panel, not earth. At the service panel the EGC and grounded conductor are bonded together. A qualified electrician should open up the box and panel and take a look. A length of wire as meter jumper to the panel from the SPD will allow a continuity check on the EGC

geochurchi

Occupation
Retired electrician
This is a sub panel and the EGC is bonded to the panel to which the SPD is connected,if there is a poor connection at the grounding electrode why couldn't that cause a problem?
Geo

Status
Not open for further replies.