Reason #37 why I don't get all stressed about how connections look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I guess my standard would be to lay things out in such a way that the next guy who comes along can look at it and readily see what is connected to what.

big john

...Now if everyone does all this great work why do I run into so much average to poor work out in real life? :p
The really screwball part is have you ever gone back later to work you've done an found it wasn't as good as you remembered it? Or even worse, started mentally criticizing how something was installed only to realize you were the one who installed it...?

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
The really screwball part is have you ever gone back later to work you've done an found it wasn't as good as you remembered it? Or even worse, started mentally criticizing how something was installed only to realize you were the one who installed it...?
Yeah, I hate it when that happens. :D

kwired

Electron manager
There are exceptions to every rule, but I contend that someone who pays attention to the details you see is also the one most like to pay attention to the details you don't.
I can agree with that, but don't agree with anyone that thinks just because a panel make up wasn't absolutely perfect that the installer was substandard.

Because the average to poor worker outnumbers the exceptional workers.
Not just in electrical trade either - pretty much any job has a fair amount of those, and it doesn't seem to matter if the pay is good or bad either.:(

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Because the average to poor worker outnumbers the exceptional workers.

And I expect that the handful who log on to Mike Holt on a regular basis are in the above average if not exceptional category. Even when we disagree with each other, we wouldn't be here if we didn't care.

Strathead

Occupation
I can agree with that, but don't agree with anyone that thinks just because a panel make up wasn't absolutely perfect that the installer was substandard.

And I totally agree with that. I have absolutely no problem with using tie wire to secure MC to a stud. My best friend swears I am a substandard electrician because I don't want to spend .50 each on Colorado Jims. We argue about it on a regular basis.

Years ago in one of those 80's fu-fu government training seminars, I was told a definition for quality. "Quality is conformance to requirements" I have never forgotten that. If I ask for a Pinto and you give me a Rolls Royce, then you didn't give me a quality product. The concept is lost on many, like my best friend, but I hold on to it because I could easily slip in to being one of those over the top OCD perfectionists.

wireday

Occupation
Master electrician
When I tighten a screw I stop when I feel its where it should be.When I see screws lined up neat I wonder are they lose or over tightened.

kwired

Electron manager
When I tighten a screw I stop when I feel its where it should be.When I see screws lined up neat I wonder are they lose or over tightened.
;)

Is there a recommended tightening torque for cover plate screws, if so then you are doing it correctly - except you do need a torque wrench/screwdriver to determine when to stop turning.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician

Great point!

Back the the days of old, cover plates were thicker and thus, allowed for some adjustment after the cover screws just started to bottom out. That way the screw slots could all be positioned vertically so dust wasn't so prone to collecting in the slots and when it did, they were easy to clean.

Now, with our paper thin covers, making such 'adjustments' can actually crack the covers.

mwm1752

Now if everyone does all this great work why do I run into so much average to poor work out in real life? :p[/QUOTE]

Maybe because the exceptional work doesn't have problems and troubleshooting is not needed. I have been back to inspect remodels of projects I had done 20-30 years ago and there is personal satifaction when the Electrician on site makes comment on the workmanship he found. ( I usually do not mention my prior involvement on projects). Just because you drill lined up holes does not make you a neat freak -- it just easier to pull the wire.

Strathead

Occupation
Great point!

Back the the days of old, cover plates were thicker and thus, allowed for some adjustment after the cover screws just started to bottom out. That way the screw slots could all be positioned vertically so dust wasn't so prone to collecting in the slots and when it did, they were easy to clean.

Now, with our paper thin covers, making such 'adjustments' can actually crack the covers.

Disagree, not a great point. First off, in commercial work in this area, more often than not we are using nylon cover plates. Tightening them to any real resistance on the screw will bow the cover in and the don't crack period. Second, the adjustment is 1/4 of a turn or less in either direction. I have very rarely found a cover that I couldn't line up the screws and still feel the cover was secure.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Ninety Nine percent of our jobs use stainless steel plates so cracking is not an issue.

Roger

electricalist

fb31d4ff298bf386871140bb8a87fff2.jpg

I do not break strings but I could .......

Status
Not open for further replies.