Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Grounding electrode 250.64(D)

Ok so here goes. That bare #4 goes directly to the water main the othrr #6 going down goes to supplemental ground rod. The two going into the panels that are 100 amp main breaker panels are landed on the nutreal bar that is bonded by the strap provided by the manufacturer.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That's an approved method here by inspectors in fact they prefer it done that way when there is more then one panel

Quote Originally Posted by nickelec View Post
    Ok so here goes. That bare #4 goes directly to the water main the othrr #6 going down goes to supplemental ground rod. The two going into the panels that are 100 amp main breaker panels are landed on the nutreal bar that is bonded by the strap provided by the manufacturer.

That pretty well sums it up.

JAP>

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    2017 NEC 250.64(D)(1)(3)

(3)Connections to an aluminum or copper busbar not less
    than 6 mm thick × 50 mm wide (1⁄4 in. thick × 2 in. wide)
    and of sufficient length to accommodate the number of
    terminations necessary for the installation. The busbar
    shall be securely fastened and shall be installed in an
    accessible location. Connections shall be made by a listed
    connector
    or by the exothermic welding process. If aluminum
    busbars are used, the installation shall comply with
    250.64(A).
    A lug is a listed connector, yes. The lug is, in turn, connected to the busbar by a bolt which I don't believe is available listed as a connector. The rule says "connections" which I take to include the connecting of the lug, itself, to the busbar.
    Another Al in Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by al hildenbrand View Post
    A lug is a listed connector, yes. The lug is, in turn, connected to the busbar by a bolt which I don't believe is available listed as a connector. The rule says "connections" which I take to include the connecting of the lug, itself, to the busbar.
    So, if we can find a product called a grounding busbar, listed as an assembly, which meets the size requirements and has listed screw terminals built in, it should be just fine, right?

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    So, if we can find a product called a grounding busbar, listed as an assembly, which meets the size requirements and has listed screw terminals built in, it should be just fine, right?

I agree.
    Another Al in Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by nickelec View Post
    That's an approved method here by inspectors in fact they prefer it done that way when there is more then one panel
    For my curiosity, does your busbar assembly include the lugs or do you supply the lugs separately?
    Another Al in Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by al hildenbrand View Post
    For my curiosity, does your busbar assembly include the lugs or do you supply the lugs separately?
    Supply the lugs separate there just standard CU lugs

Really guys?

We have to grind it all the way down to the bolt and nut that fastens the listed connector to the approved bus bar?

Every job spec'd ground bar I've seen on plans are just like the one in the picture and you bolt the Lugs or the one or two hole crimp lugs to it.

I think saying the bolt and nut not being part of listed equipment is a little too much attention to literature myself.

So now bolts and nuts from the factory are somehow better than the ones I can buy at a bolt and screw supply?

JAP>

I also have bolted every lug on every transformer that required it my whole career.
    Not once did one come with the logs already installed.

Jap>