romex connector + coupling

Status
Not open for further replies.

97catintenn

I have a 400 amp service with two 200amp mains on the outside that feed 2 200amp main lug panels in the house.

The feeder coming out of the main panel 4/0 SER cable has to have a romex connector on it, but then I need a 3" nipple for a chase in the wall.

The only way I could figure out how to do it, put the Romex connector inside the panel backwards and then thread a coupling onto it.

Is this legal or how would you protect the wire from abrasion from the panel to inside the wall?

Attachments

• IMG_20150401_130422.jpg
    IMG_20150401_130422.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20150401_130403.jpg
    IMG_20150401_130403.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20150401_130414.jpg
    IMG_20150401_130414.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 5

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
The feeder coming out of the main panel 4/0 SER cable has to have a romex connector on it, but then I need a 3" nipple for a chase in the wall.
I look at your situation this way: The transition of cable to raceway happens at the point that the SER cable enters the nipple. The sheath of the cable can be ended just inside the cable clamp that is mounted to the end of the nipple (the raceway) that is inside the wall, and then the conductors from the cable continue inside the raceway to the end of the raceway. The nipple (raceway) attaches to the disconnect enclosure with locknuts, and the conductors come out of a bushing, not another cable clamp, because they are emerging from a raceway, at this point, not a cable.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
We're not allowed to run Aluminum on the Load side of the meter around here. I've often wondered whey they even still allow aluminum conductors inside a residence.
Looks like protecting the cable on the inside of the wall will be more of a challenge then through the wall.
There's no good way to turn a large cable like that into the back of anything in a standard 3 1/2" Stud wall without a J-box or something behind it that no one wants.

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I'd be tempted to use a 2" 90d flex connector but it'd probably get flagged for some silly listing issue. :)

JAP>

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
We're not allowed to run Aluminum on the Load side of the meter around here. I've often wondered whey they even still allow aluminum conductors inside a residence.

The alloy that is used for aluminum is very different today than it was years ago. The issues we had with aluminum is no longer a problem with the new allow-- in fact noalox is not even required on aluminum anymore

jap

Occupation
Electrician
The alloy that is used for aluminum is very different today than it was years ago. The issues we had with aluminum is no longer a problem with the new allow-- in fact noalox is not even required on aluminum anymore

Shows how old I'm getting. I still wont terminate an aluminum conductor indoor or out without applying some Noalox first.

JAP>

al hildenbrand

Occupation
I would have just put the connector on the back side of the panel and be done with it.
:happyyes:

I agree. And then, as I set the can on the exterior, I'd have the can press out a nice plump donut of duct seal that was ringing the romex connector in the hole in the siding.

97catintenn

Thanks for the replies. I've been checking in from work to read your comments. All was good till Dennis posted. Man, I hope that this cable is compliant as I have two runs for a combined total of 230' :eek:hmy:

Depending on your code cycle the 4/0 SER alum may not be code compliant

I'm pretty sure it is legal here. The supply house doesn't stock copper, so all that is on hand for 200amps is AL.

I would have just put the connector on the back side of the panel and be done with it.

I did that, but could still see the cable behind the panel. All that would be protecting it, is a gob of silicone. So, then I sat down and tried to figure out how to make this work. As I didn't like that I could see the cable.

I look at your situation this way: The transition of cable to raceway happens at the point that the SER cable enters the nipple. The sheath of the cable can be ended just inside the cable clamp that is mounted to the end of the nipple (the raceway) that is inside the wall, and then the conductors from the cable continue inside the raceway to the end of the raceway. The nipple (raceway) attaches to the disconnect enclosure with locknuts, and the conductors come out of a bushing, not another cable clamp, because they are emerging from a raceway, at this point, not a cable.

Ok, I have the wrong romex connectors then. The ones I have will thread into a coupling but not onto a nipple. But it doesn't matter, if what I did will suffice, Great, I'm ready to move on.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Ok, I have the wrong romex connectors then. The ones I have will thread into a coupling but not onto a nipple. But it doesn't matter, if what I did will suffice, Great, I'm ready to move on.
The coupling is a raceway. Use a chase nipple and locknut at the can, not a romex clamp. (Although some here will find fault with the chase nipple/ locknut/ coupling/ romex clamp assembly.)

97catintenn

The coupling is a raceway. Use a chase nipple and locknut at the can, not a romex clamp...

I think I understand now. To do what you are saying, I would remove the romex clamp in the panel and use a chase nipple instead, add a locknut, then the coupling and romex connector.

8847969583134.jpg

PetrosA

A few thoughts...

It is the wrong connector. That's a SEU connector being used on SER. You need one with a round opening.

Why does this need to be sleeved at all? Why wouldn't you just put an SER connector in the back side of the panel and bring your cable through the wall directly into it?

97catintenn

It's my first install using unistrut, which pushes the panel out away from the siding 1". I thought I had to use conduit to protect the cable from abrasion from the panel to the inside of the wall. After reading the comments, I can just install the connector on the back and be done with it...with a goob of duct seal. :thumbsup:

This is another case of over thinking your first install of such such :)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
and what code cycle would that be? Never heard such a thing.

Look at art. 310.15(B)(7). If the feeder does not carry the entire load of the dwelling then the residential table cannot be used since you have 2 feeders. You must use T. 310.15(B)(16).

The code cycle may help depending if the SER is allowed to be used at 75C or 60C. If the SER runs thru insulation then it must be used at 60C-- 338.10(B)(4)

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
Looks like protecting the cable on the inside of the wall will be more of a challenge then through the wall.
There's no good way to turn a large cable like that into the back of anything in a standard 3 1/2" Stud wall without a J-box or something behind it that no one wants.

JAP>

Now thats just SILLY (The "not allowed to run Aluminum on the Load side of the meter" ).....The reason they allow AL inside a residence is because it is as safe as any other conductor when used within the scope of it design.

Status
Not open for further replies.