Sizing of Service grounding conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

Table 250.102(C)(1) is for, among other things, sizing Grounded Conductors (aka neutrals). Does this table apply to Grounded Service Conductors.

So, for example, if I have a 400A service, I would run 3#600kcmail & 1#1/0 Grounded Service Conductor and no Ground (well the grounded service conductor serves both purposes) from my service transformer to my service distribution panelboard.

Would that be correct?

Thanks,

Mike

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Just be sure that the conductor selected from Table 250.102(C)(1) is at least as large as what is required by the load calculations. In most cases, it will be, but not always.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Table 250.102(C)(1) is for, among other things, sizing Grounded Conductors (aka neutrals). Does this table apply to Grounded Service Conductors.

So, for example, if I have a 400A service, I would run 3#600kcmail & 1#1/0 Grounded Service Conductor and no Ground (well the grounded service conductor serves both purposes) from my service transformer to my service distribution panelboard.

Would that be correct?

Thanks,

Mike
We normally see 500 kcmil for a 400 amp service....that assumes that the load calculation shows a load of 380 amps or less. Of course that would be the code minimum and you are free to exceed that.

Status
Not open for further replies.