Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grounding electrode 250.64(D)

Grounding electrode 250.64(D)

After reading the other thread about the 320 meter socket here is my question:

Let's say you have a service with a multi gang meter socket (no disconnects, not more than 6). Immediately inside the building are main breaker panels serving as the service main disconnects fed with SEU cable. Typically I would install my GEC to 1 of the panels and then use split bolts to feed the remaining panels with taps. Would it be acceptable to instead install a single GEC to the multi gang meter socket and nothing to the MB panels? (again, no disconnects at the meters) The only restriction I can see is if the power company objects to this, but it is common practice around here to run the supplemental ground into the meter enclosures. It would be easier and cleaner, but would like others opinions.

Yes it would be compliant to just feed the meter main for the six panels. The wire would have to be sized for the service conductor size - which would be larger than going individually from each panel.
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    Yes it would be compliant to just feed the meter main for the six panels. The wire would have to be sized for the service conductor size - which would be larger than going individually from each panel.
    Actually he indicated this was not a meter/main setup.
    Meters only, not that I see where it would make a difference.

JAP>

Quote Originally Posted by jap View Post
    Actually he indicated this was not a meter/main setup.
    Meters only, not that I see where it would make a difference.

JAP>

That is the same answer-- I meant meter-- 6 gang meter at that
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky

Quote Originally Posted by Leespark57 View Post
    The only restriction I can see is if the power company objects to this, but it is common practice around here to run the supplemental ground into the meter enclosures.
    There is an argument that the real benefit of a supplemental ground is that it can best handle energy surges (transients) with very fast rise times, and that the more direct the path to earth the better. The fewer bends, and the shorter the distance, to the supplemental ground, the better. Something like a lightning induced surge is handled better.

But the Grounding Electrode Conductor might be another story, in the minds of your local power company, as it is more likely (although there are exceptions to this generalization) to be a significant part of the occupancy overcurrent protective device's effective fault clearing current path. Whether your local power company will allow access, for servicing, to the inside of their "cash register" meter socket for the GEC may well be thought of differently than a high voltage transient capable supplemental ground.

None of my opinion, above, is handled directly in the Code.
    Another Al in Minnesota

I tend to think that the GEC connection in the meterbase is the best place for it to be.
    Less likely anybody will jack with it in there.

JAP>

Quote Originally Posted by jap View Post
    I tend to think that the GEC connection in the meterbase is the best place for it to be.
    Less likely anybody will jack with it in there.

JAP>
    Also completely unserviceable and unmaintainable as most poco's seal or lock the meter enclosure. My 2 cent.

Can you do this we usually use one of these if there is more then one panel

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

If either of the two green runs is a GEC rather than a bonding jumper, you have failed to deliver an irreversable splice between electrode and either panel.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

The two greens going.to each panel are bonding jumpers from the neutral bar

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk