Type USE cable or URD Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

david

I'm getting mixed information in regards to weather URD cable is listed as USE and if URD can be installed as a feeder above ground in conduit in a crawl space

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I'm getting mixed information in regards to weather URD cable is listed as USE and if URD can be installed as a feeder above ground in conduit in a crawl space

URD is not a recognized NEC cable or wire type and based on that marking alone it cannot be used for any NEC Chapter 3 wiring method.
However the manufacturer MAY choose to also mark it for additional NEC wire type(s).
If that has been done, you may follow the permitted uses for those additional types.
Single listed URD is only usable by POCO or for other non NEC uses.
If you are interested in a particular piece of URD, just look at the markings on it. If it does not show USE, it cannot be used as USE.

david

It has been our understanding that "URD" cable cannot be used in above ground applications. If we are in correct I would rather not continue to be incorrect on this issue

if the cable is listed as USE and other insulation types such as RHH can it be used as an above ground feeder?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
People often call USE-- URD-- however one cannot be sure unless you check the markings. The true URD is, as stated above not recognized by the NEC.

USE is often dual rated and can be used above ground and on into the house. Of course, URD can come out of the ground and terminate outside but it can not enter a building as it does not have a vertical flame rating

david

People often call USE-- URD-- however one cannot be sure unless you check the markings. The true URD is, as stated above not recognized by the NEC.

USE is often dual rated and can be used above ground and on into the house. Of course, URD can come out of the ground and terminate outside but it can not enter a building as it does not have a vertical flame rating

From everyone I talked to a lot of cable today know as URD is listed for use as USE or USE-1 it also carries other listings such as RHH and RHW-2 with flame retardant properties.
This has been confusing since I kept getting different information from different suppliers from their understanding of the manufactures specifications on the cable they are selling

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
From everyone I talked to a lot of cable today know as URD is listed for use as USE or USE-1 it also carries other listings such as RHH and RHW-2 with flame retardant properties.
This has been confusing since I kept getting different information from different suppliers from their understanding of the manufactures specifications on the cable they are selling

I agree the terminology is not consistent. URD used to be installed by the utility and was not an NEC product. Today many people call it URD but it is really USE

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I agree the terminology is not consistent. URD used to be installed by the utility and was not an NEC product. Today many people call it URD but it is really USE

What it comes down to in the end is not what the guy at the supply house or big box store calls it, or even what is on the shelf tag.
What counts is what is actually marked on the wire/cable. If you find on the manufacturer's website or in their literature that the product is also listed as USE or RHH, but it is not marked on the wire itself, then there is an excellent chance that the product you have in your hand is not the product whose spec you are looking it.
If it is not visibly marked the AHJ is not required to accept it. If the visible ends are short enough that not all of the markings can be read, make sure to keep a scrap piece with all of the markings or else the supply roll with enough wire to see the markings!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
What it comes down to in the end is not what the guy at the supply house or big box store calls it, or even what is on the shelf tag.
What counts is what is actually marked on the wire/cable. If you find on the manufacturer's website or in their literature that the product is also listed as USE or RHH, but it is not marked on the wire itself, then there is an excellent chance that the product you have in your hand is not the product whose spec you are looking it.
If it is not visibly marked the AHJ is not required to accept it. If the visible ends are short enough that not all of the markings can be read, make sure to keep a scrap piece with all of the markings or else the supply roll with enough wire to see the markings!

Yep, that is why I stated
People often call USE-- URD-- however one cannot be sure unless you check the markings.
. Agreed Nothing else matters other than the markings on the wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.