Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Splitting up AC output after meter base?

Splitting up AC output after meter base?

Hello,

We are installing 52 amps (60 amp backfeed solar breaker) in a residence with two, 200 amp service panels side by side.

Where I work we are not allow line side taps.

My question may be obvious to some, but I have never done it before. Is there an elegant way to split the output after the production meter into two, 30 amp feeds that each land in a different panel?

I suppose I could exit the meter base and feed another combiner panel, is this a reasonable idea?

Any other ideas welcome. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bbartmasse r View Post
    Hello,

We are installing 52 amps (60 amp backfeed solar breaker) in a residence with two, 200 amp service panels side by side.

Where I work we are not allow line side taps.

My question may be obvious to some, but I have never done it before. Is there an elegant way to split the output after the production meter into two, 30 amp feeds that each land in a different panel?

I suppose I could exit the meter base and feed another combiner panel, is this a reasonable idea?

Any other ideas welcome. Thanks
    You cannot do it. If you did you would be combining the two services; loads on one meter could draw power from the other. You must build two separate PV systems and feed the meters separately.

Sounds totally wrong to me. First, you would completely compromise the purpose of both service disconnecting means and both solar disconnecting means. There are probably several other code violations, such as parallel conductors.

Second, when you say two service panels, are there two panels for one service? Or two services? Two meters? If the latter that can go all sorts of wrong with net-metering.

(And perhaps it's beating a dead horse, but blanket prohibitions on supply side taps are just...stupid.)

I've been in a similar situation, but could not find a way to split the current on the output side of the PV performance meter. If this is a 200A split bus (I'm not sure if it is by the way your question is worded), you may just have to bifurcate the PV output starting at the roof, which would call for two PV meters, and ultimately two overcurrent protection devices.

-Andy

Another option:

Downsize one of the main breakers to 175A.

I think the answer is dependent on whether there is one or two POCO service meters... and the mention of a production meter throws another wrench in the fire. A production meter differs from a consumption meter or net meter in the rather obvious ways.

Please describe the service(s), metering, and connection of panels in detail....
    I will have achieved my life's goal if I die with a smile on my face.

Quote Originally Posted by jaggedben View Post
    (And perhaps it's beating a dead horse, but blanket prohibitions on supply side taps are just...stupid.)

Yeah drivs me crazy. A Supply side tap is the same thing (other than possible grouping) as a 230.40 exception 2 install, which it sounds like the OP probably has with the existing service....
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

What is the point of this?

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Electric-Light View Post
    What is the point of this?
    You are seriously asking this question? Really???
    Once in a while you get shown the light
    In the strangest of places if you look at it right. Robert Hunter

Thanks for the replies everyone.

These are two, 200 amp services on the side of the residence fed form a single 400 amp service with one meter. Sorry for the confusion, no matter how hard I try there is always something I leave out that leads to more questions.

I understand I can downsize one of the panels to a 175 main and be on my way but that was the point of the question, to see if there were other ways that I was overlooking. Its a shame downsizing the main when you have that much bussing right in front of you.

This is a good lead in to line side taps........I live in a place that does not allow them, which means I have never done one. Where do you actually "feed in" when doing a line side tap? Also, I know our inspectors always look for the breaker to be installed(in service panel) at opposite end of where the service is fed, this way the solar can theoretically supply the loads in house first, before heading to grid.
    In a line side situation, am I right thinking there is no way to accomplish this. That might be part of why they do not allow it, Im not sure. I will ask the utility why.

Thanks