Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Two circuits in a dual gang box?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Los Angeles CA
    Posts
    45

    Two circuits in a dual gang box?

    Can a dual (or larger) gang box have two different circuits feed it? Not necessarily a MWBC, just two different circuits. As I see it this is a safety issues in that somebody kills one of the circuits by checking the light or other load yet there still is another hot feed inside the box?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    12,053
    Yes, multiple circuits may exist in a junction box.
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin


    Derek

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Fl
    Posts
    16,688
    See 300.3(C) and 404.8(B)

    Roger
    Moderator

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Posts
    8,773
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Delle View Post
    Can a dual (or larger) gang box have two different circuits feed it? Not necessarily a MWBC, just two different circuits. As I see it this is a safety issues in that somebody kills one of the circuits by checking the light or other load yet there still is another hot feed inside the box?
    If you look inside a box and can't tell if there are multiple circuits in there then you have no business being in there.
    Once in a while you get shown the light
    In the strangest of places if you look at it right. Robert Hunter

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    12,053
    Quote Originally Posted by ActionDave View Post
    If you look inside a box and can't tell if there are multiple circuits in there then you have no business being in there.
    If I see have 3 black wires, 3 white wires, and 3 green-how many circuits are present?
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin


    Derek

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Placerville, CA, USA
    Posts
    18,378
    I believe that you cannot have two circuits on one device yoke if the result would be 240 or more line to line. But either just two circuits or even two voltages in dual gang box is allowed and is common.
    If you have two circuits (not an MWBC) on a duplex receptacle you need to break off the neutral tab too and run two independent neutrals to match the two hots.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Fl
    Posts
    16,688
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    I believe that you cannot have two circuits on one device yoke if the result would be 240 or more line to line. But either just two circuits or even two voltages in dual gang box is allowed and is common.
    If you have two circuits (not an MWBC) on a duplex receptacle you need to break off the neutral tab too and run two independent neutrals to match the two hots.
    See 210.7

    Roger
    Moderator

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Posts
    8,773
    Quote Originally Posted by jumper View Post
    If I see have 3 black wires, 3 white wires, and 3 green-how many circuits are present?
    Presumably at least one.
    Once in a while you get shown the light
    In the strangest of places if you look at it right. Robert Hunter

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Bremerton, Washington
    Posts
    7,643
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Delle View Post
    Can a dual (or larger) gang box have two different circuits feed it? Not necessarily a MWBC, just two different circuits. As I see it this is a safety issues in that somebody kills one of the circuits by checking the light or other load yet there still is another hot feed inside the box?
    Assumption is that person is qualified and knows how to test for voltage.
    I don't see this as an issue at all, electricians work in energized equipment/boxes all the time.
    However, it would be advisable to write the circuit numbers on the cover, and power source!
    Last edited by ActionDave; 09-06-17 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Repair quote
    Moderator-Washington State
    Ancora Imparo

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    21,385
    Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    See 210.7

    Roger
    Quit being so cryptic.

    What 210.7 says is that the circuits must have simultaneous disconnecting means at the circuits' origin. May as well make it a MWBC... but otherwise GD is correct since he said not an MWBC.
    I will have achieved my life's goal if I die with a smile on my face.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •