250.92(A)(2) "Interposed"

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I'm looking for some opinions as to what the word interposed means in this section. I'm pretty sure that I understand the meaning but I'm hearing some rather crazy interpretations. :roll:

250.92 Services.
(A) Bonding of Services. The non?current-carrying metal
parts of equipment indicated in 250.92(A)(1) and (A)(2)
shall be bonded together.
(1) The service raceways, cable trays, cablebus framework,
auxiliary gutters, or service cable armor or sheath except as permitted in 250.84
(2) All service enclosures containing service conductors,
including meter fittings, boxes, or the like, interposed
in the service raceway or armor

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I'm looking for some opinions as to what the word interposed means in this section. I'm pretty sure that I understand the meaning but I'm hearing some rather crazy interpretations. :roll:
Placed or inserted between service raceway runs or cable with armor runs.

For example, a typical in-line meter can is interposed in a service entrance riser raceway.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Placed or inserted between service raceway runs or cable with armor runs.

For example, a typical in-line meter can is interposed in a service entrance riser raceway.

That's exactly what it means, now I just need to convince someone else who thinks that it relates to any raceway connected to a service even if it contains feeder conductors. :rant:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
That's exactly what it means, now I just need to convince someone else who thinks that it relates to any raceway connected to a service even if it contains feeder conductors. :rant:
Interposed enclosures do not exist at or beyond service termini (i.e. utility transformer and service disconnecting means).

Smart $

Esteemed Member
:)
Connected to would be juxtaposed instead of interposed.
To use the word juxtapose would be a bit of a stretch. While the origin may have been intended that way, its use through the centuries has made it mean something significantly different {place or deal with close together for contrasting effect}.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Interposed enclosures do not exist at or beyond service termini (i.e. utility transformer and service disconnecting means).

The confused party stopped reading the requirement at the end of this part, "(2)All service enclosures containing service conductors". If those were the only words in that sentence then i can see it being confusing and would make one think that any part of the service enclosure would require bonding methods beyond standard locknuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.