code officer slammed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, :slaphead: City Inspector got a door slammed in his face by GC prior to my work being started and now my job will not pass inspection:
City C of O building Code officer and city electrical inspector both showed up.

Problem:
I changed service and inspection was rejected due to sub-panel being at the stairway landing area of first floor.
They considered it a hallway?
Yes I can fit a 30" wide (side to side of panelboard) x 36" deep (clearance in front) x 7 foot tall box to meet NEC article 100.26.
No I did not get a code violation article #, recitement or any info yet.
No I can NOT hire another 3rd party inspector. ( city only )
No its not above the stair treads,
Can anyone relate or give me a good reason for a fail?
Any help out there is greatly appreciated from a Licensed Electrician, 30 year veteran.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
Dump the GC Rich, explain to the property/project owners the GC has created bad relations with the legislated bureaucracies necessary to move his/her job ,send mr GC a registered letter of contractual default and CC the property owner with the remainder of the contract, ask that you be liaison for said entities from here on in concerning YOUR work only.

Collect all information for a mechanics lien for any outstanding debt, as well as letter to the state inspection debt to pull your permit with XXX work done

~RJ~

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The only reason I can think of is that a panel cannot be over steps of a stairway. IMO this is not over a step and the inspector is incorrect. If they call it a hall way then there is no reason to turn it down because a hallway is a legitimate install.

Well said

Well said

Thanx RJ Soon as I suspected trouble last week I Requested payment from owner and he sent me a check, :happyyes:

My professional obligation is to get my work inspected though as I intend to find out why i'm in some violation of building code

mwm1752

Gennerally the stairway landing can be considered as part of the stairway. Are you stating the panel is at the bottom of the stairs on the floor level? Landings have a dimensional width & lenght. The landing I am referrring to is a platform that you must step off of to reach the floor level. Actually, Building codes & definitions might help you.

back-n-forth

back-n-forth

The only reason I can think of is that a panel cannot be over steps of a stairway. IMO this is not over a step and the inspector is incorrect. If they call it a hall way then there is no reason to turn it down because a hallway is a legitimate install.

building & electrical inspector had some on site debating on this subject .. Thanx Dennis

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
I'm not sure but this "City Inspector got a door slammed in his face by GC prior to my work being started and now my job will not pass inspection" might be part of the reason. I know that if someone slammed a door in the face of one of my inspectors when I was in charge of inspections.......they would fall to the bottom of my priority list.....thats for sure.

In Virginia ( and I am sure other states) the state construction codes do not require the inspector to leave a code reference until you request it. I always found that to be idiotic since the guy fixing the problem kinda needs to know what to fix so in both jurisdictions I worked in i required the inspectors to give all references on the inspection ticket. If there was nothing to write or the inspector could not find the code reference then they had two choices....call me and I will let them know if it's a code issue and give reference or pass the inspection and move on to their next inspection......

to no avail

to no avail

Gennerally the stairway landing can be considered as part of the stairway. Are you stating the panel is at the bottom of the stairs on the floor level? Landings have a dimensional width & lenght. The landing I am referrring to is a platform that you must step off of to reach the floor level. Actually, Building codes & definitions might help you.

I spoke with a nys codes bldg. division (Architect) at state level for clarification and there was really no solid answer. His comment was not in stairway which we interpret as above riser steps

Panel is at top of stairway on the first or ground floor level, panel location is seperated by a door way (doors missing) that leads down to basement
= 34" by 36" and meets qualifications of 110.26

Thanx for your input Sir

proffessionalism

proffessionalism

I'm not sure but this "City Inspector got a door slammed in his face by GC prior to my work being started and now my job will not pass inspection" might be part of the reason. I know that if someone slammed a door in the face of one of my inspectors when I was in charge of inspections.......they would fall to the bottom of my priority list.....thats for sure.

In Virginia ( and I am sure other states) the state construction codes do not require the inspector to leave a code reference until you request it. I always found that to be idiotic since the guy fixing the problem kinda needs to know what to fix so in both jurisdictions I worked in i required the inspectors to give all references on the inspection ticket. If there was nothing to write or the inspector could not find the code reference then they had two choices....call me and I will let them know if it's a code issue and give reference or pass the inspection and move on to their next inspection......

I very much agree Master, why would any one start off by causing problems ? Interpreting building and nec code is not always crystal clear to everyone involved, Egos get bruised and problems ensue ...
Thanx for your 2 sense

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I spoke with a nys codes bldg. division (Architect) at state level for clarification and there was really no solid answer. His comment was not in stairway which we interpret as above riser steps

Panel is at top of stairway on the first or ground floor level, panel location is seperated by a door way (doors missing) that leads down to basement

Thanx for your input Sir

If your jurisdictions follows the NEC without local amendments then you've installed the panel in a code compliant manner according to the NEC.

mwm1752

Thanx for your input Sir

This is how I read your response -- not accurate scale:happysad:

Attachments

• Stair.jpg
    Stair.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 0

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Would it make a difference if the stairwell was a fire rated exit route ?
(I seem to recall a prohibition of conduits in a fire exit stairwell unless the circuits are related to the stairwell lighting, ect._)

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
I very much agree Master, why would any one start off by causing problems ? Interpreting building and nec code is not always crystal clear to everyone involved, Egos get bruised and problems ensue ...
Thanx for your 2 sense

Sounds like someone already poisoned the well there Rich.

You really don't need to know any more than what your spidey sense is telling you though.

Good luck

~RJ~

poison well

poison well

Yes sir RJ The well has been poisoned:eek:

Now the EI has called me on behalf of missing building Code officer reciting 2010 building code book pertaining to what a "landing" means at the top of stairs.

guess ill order me a building code book and buckle down for some good reading.

nearly accurate sir

nearly accurate sir

This is how I read your response -- not accurate scale:happysad:

wish i knew how to respond with Diagram.

The door frame is 34" farther away from the stairs whereas your diagram shows it aprox. 12 " from stair riser.

other than that your pretty close.

Thanx mwm

Status
Not open for further replies.