code officer slammed

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwm1752

wish i knew how to respond with Diagram.

The door frame is 34" farther away from the stairs whereas your diagram shows it aprox. 12 " from stair riser.

other than that your pretty close.

Thanx mwm

Also shows my stairs 18" tall -- not to scale:jawdrop: If it depicts the landing properly -- it is at the top of the stairs inside the door - you panel isn't in a landing area for the stairs

mgookin

This is how I read your response -- not accurate scale:happysad:

Your GC needs a level landing of a dimension not less than the required width of the stairs under the building code. The door looks like a violation to me and if you put the door where it should be, that puts your panel on that landing.

You did say NTS. Is there 36" minimum from the face of the top riser to the door?

Is this single family or commercial?

right on

right on

Also shows my stairs 18" tall -- not to scale:jawdrop: If it depicts the landing properly -- it is at the top of the stairs inside the door - you panel isn't in a landing area for the stairs

The panel is on wall on the first floor level at the top of stairway area and there is a door frame 34" away from last stair riser or kick plate

thanx mwm

stairs and landings and loadcenters oh my

stairs and landings and loadcenters oh my

Hello Mr. Mgook :happyyes: ( Residential rehab and stair way leads down to basement ) At The top of the last stair is the first floor all continuos no landing or platform
The area that I stand on while working on Loadcenter is slightly wider than the stairs
The door frame (has missing or no door present) is about 34 or more in." away from last stair kick plate edge.
Any input would help and very much appreciated sir.

mgookin

Sounds to me like you're in good shape.

When I wrote my previous comment I did not realize that was not your sketch.

I'm with the guys who say ask the inspector to cite a code article or section.

Good luck!

absolutely

absolutely

I spoke with higher level EE with state codes division in Albany who teaches and updates the inspectors, his comments were get me some info and email me I will look into this or may even come to the site. How about that :thumbsup:

to be continued..

thanx Mr

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
wish i knew how to respond with Diagram.

The door frame is 34" farther away from the stairs whereas your diagram shows it aprox. 12 " from stair riser.

other than that your pretty close.

Thanx mwm

Which side of the door is the panel on? Stair side or hallway side?

david

I'm not as well versed on this subject as others in the office here, but I thought that a landing was only required when the door swing was over the stairway section.

I no that their is still required floor space at the top of any stairway. I didn't think that the floor space was considered part of the stair way section.

Alaskan

Can't come up with an NEC reference

Can't come up with an NEC reference

but if this area is required to be fire rated construction there could be a bust under IBC if the panel was penetrating the rated membrane. And at one time, NFPA 101 (I don't administer in my new life) didn't allow any services to be in a fire rated stair enclosure other than those required in the enclosure, i.e., sprinkler pipes, conduits for exit signs, lighting, etc. Panels wouldn't be allowed.

kwired

Electron manager
Would it make a difference if the stairwell was a fire rated exit route ?
(I seem to recall a prohibition of conduits in a fire exit stairwell unless the circuits are related to the stairwell lighting, ect._)
That could be a possibility, but sure would be nice if the inspector would state the reason for rejection to clear things up.:roll:

mgookin

OP already clarified this is a single family remodel. No fire rating required so that's out.

Top and bottom of a stairway require a level landing of a running dimension not less than the required width of the stairway (think square).

There is no door. There is a doorway.

OP says that panel is 34" from the top riser.

His biggest problem is that some jackwagon slammed a door in the inspector's face. :happysad:

newservice

Hm. Maybe he is worried about someone falling down the stairs while servicing it? He might be thinking the open stairs are a hazard, and is too close under the working clearances requirement for electrical installations section somewhere?

devils in the details

devils in the details

Pretty close Mr Mgook and New member,

I went back and simply removed Some extra boards behind the load center and remounted :roll:
I now have 36'' clearance in front of panel instead of 35 and 1/8.

This allows me to get to the next supposed violation & remedy of the Natl. building code of e3305.4

To reitterrate
It is in a area near the location of the stairway to the basement.

The panel is on the first floor & is installed on a 40'' wall measured from last stair kick plate to a old door frame with missing door ,

There is 36'' in front or to the clearance wall and meets NEC code.

Thanx to everyone and the valuable input received, To be continued...

kwired

Electron manager
Hm. Maybe he is worried about someone falling down the stairs while servicing it? He might be thinking the open stairs are a hazard, and is too close under the working clearances requirement for electrical installations section somewhere?
simple solution - provide an attachment point for fall arrest equipment, and possibly signs to indicate you need to use such equipment;)

EEC

Explanation is poorly given

Explanation is poorly given

The problem with this OP is the explanation of the situation was poorly given. We didn't need to know about a door being slammed, we only needed dimensions of the area in question, such as center of panel from face of first stair riser, etc.

kwired

Electron manager
The problem with this OP is the explanation of the situation was poorly given. We didn't need to know about a door being slammed, we only needed dimensions of the area in question, such as center of panel from face of first stair riser, etc.
Door being slammed doesn't change codes, but can change an inspector's attitude and willingness to work with you when there are problems.

kwired

Electron manager
Hay Kwired
I will install a 3/4 loop eye bolt through the wall if that is what it takes I like the way you think :happyyes:
Well, unless this guy was a OSHA or other worker safety inspector - NEC only mentions working space in front of the equipment - says nothing at all about safety railing or fall arrest should there be a large drop after the working clearance is reached. And if that were the issue and he has authority he needs to quote/reference applicable code - it is not the NEC.

Status
Not open for further replies.