HUD Title 24 ? 3280.801 Superseding Artical 550.25 (Manufactured Homes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here it goes....I just purchased a nice 2500 sq. ft. Manufactured Home that rolled out of assembly on January 24th 2015. I noticed in the NEC 2014 Article 550.25(B) that I should have them installed for my families' protection. I emailed the Manufacturer and his response was listed below:

PART 3280?MANUFACTURED HOME CONSTRUCTION AND SAFETY STANDARDS

Subpart I?Electrical Systems

? 3280.801 Scope.
(a) Subpart I of this part and Part II of Article 550 of the National Electrical Code (NFPA No. 70?2005) cover the electrical conductors and equipment installed within or on manufactured homes and the conductors that connect manufactured homes to a supply of electricity.
(b) In addition to the requirements of this part and Part II of Article 550 of the National Electrical Code (NFPA No. 70?2005), the applicable portions of other Articles of the National Electrical Code must be followed for electrical installations in manufactured homes. The use of arc-fault breakers under Articles 210.12(A) and (B), 440.65, and 550.25(A) and (B) of the National Electrical Code, NFPA No. 70?2005 is not required. However, if arc-fault breakers are provided, such use must be in accordance with the National Electrical Code, NFPA No. 70?2005. Wherever the requirements of this standard differ from the National Electrical Code, these standards apply.
(c) The provisions of this standard apply to manufactured homes intended for connection to a wiring system nominally rated 120/240 volts, 3-wire AC, with grounded neutral.
(d) All electrical materials, devices, appliances, fittings and other equipment shall be listed or labeled by a nationally recognized testing agency and shall be connected in an approved manner when in service.
(e) Aluminum conductors, aluminum alloy conductors, and aluminum core conductors such as copper clad aluminum; are not acceptable for use in branch circuit wiring in manufactured homes.

[40 FR 58752, Dec. 18, 1975. Redesignated at 44 FR 20679, Apr. 6, 1979, as amended at 58 FR 55019, Oct. 25, 1993; 70 FR 72051, Nov. 30, 2005; 71 FR 19636, Apr. 17, 2006]

Can somebody please tell me why Manufactured homes are immune from this? Does arcing only happen in stick-built homes?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have no idea why the manufactured homes have immunity from this. They must have good lobbying to protect themselves from extra expenses

It has to be about the MONEY......I have to purchase the breakers separately even after I purchased the home. I thought maybe it was the manufactured homes used for construction offices or in like; not habitable areas.

wtucker

It's very strange. The proposed rule, in 2004, didn't exclude the arc fault protection. When the final rule was published a year later, it had magically appeared. The agency had received two dozen public comments in the intervening time, but I didn't look them up. Very strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.