Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for affordable LED bulb

Recommendations for affordable LED bulb

I'm upgrading some of the electrical & lighting at my current residence. One of the electricians gave me a wall pack luminaire (metal halide/400W) and I'm planning to install it above my garage, ~12-15 feet up in the air. Since I'm wanting to go LED, I've done the bypass ballast, and started looking at LED bulb options. So I'm seeing corncob LEDs and other styles in the price range from $60 up to $220. Anyone know of anything a bit cheaper?

Quote Originally Posted by Lock Nut View Post
    I'm upgrading some of the electrical & lighting at my current residence. One of the electricians gave me a wall pack luminaire (metal halide/400W) and I'm planning to install it above my garage, ~12-15 feet up in the air. Since I'm wanting to go LED, I've done the bypass ballast, and started looking at LED bulb options. So I'm seeing corncob LEDs and other styles in the price range from $60 up to $220. Anyone know of anything a bit cheaper?
    If you can find one that puts out similar light as a 400 watt metal halide for $60 that is cheap.

Just because you were given a 400W size doesn't mean you have to try to match the output. A 400W MH at home on a wall pack above garage would be insane. Matching a 400W MH lamp on the cheap with LEDs is not possible. LED generated lumens are still costly

Quote Originally Posted by Electric-Light View Post
    Just because you were given a 400W size doesn't mean you have to try to match the output. A 400W MH at home on a wall pack above garage would be insane. Matching a 400W MH lamp on the cheap with LEDs is not possible. LED generated lumens are still costly
    Sure, I understand that. Since there's already a pole mounted security light near the corner of the yard, a 400-W MH would prove to be above and beyond what I actually need; I'm shooting more for efficiency here. Looking for an LED that would have a "____ watt replacement" value lower than that, decently priced, if feasible

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    The prices are dropping continually but you have to decide what is a decent price. My budget may differ from yours.
    Tom
    TBLO

Quote Originally Posted by Lock Nut View Post
    Sure, I understand that. Since there's already a pole mounted security light near the corner of the yard, a 400-W MH would prove to be above and beyond what I actually need; I'm shooting more for efficiency here. Looking for an LED that would have a "____ watt replacement" value lower than that, decently priced, if feasible
    I would think the only way you're going to get that kind of wattage at the price you're looking for is to roll the dice with something on Amazon, like:

https://smile.amazon.com/E39-Lumens-...nt+street+lamp

I installed a LED wall mount fixture that looks sort of like traditional wall packs, came from Home Depot and only cost around $25. No where close to the light output of a 400 watt MH but would be reasonable for most locations like OP has.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    I installed a LED wall mount fixture that looks sort of like traditional wall packs, came from Home Depot and only cost around $25. No where close to the light output of a 400 watt MH but would be reasonable for most locations like OP has.
    That was my thought, too. I don't think I would bother with trying to put a corn bulb into an enclosed fixture

I was looking at doing that at a Taco Bell I rewired a few years ago, and I decided against it after talking with several manufacturer reps.

LEDs and the drivers need heat dissipation. I would imagine they all have a built-in cooling fan by now, but that doesn't help the heat to leave the fixture if it's enclosed

Michigan. It's a beautiful penninsula, I've looked around.
    I have an old outdoor light, I think it's MH, mounted at 15' above my garage door. It's 175 watt and that is plenty. For security purposes, realize that more watts will not only give you more light, it will give 'darker' shadows if it is the only light on.
    Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky

I have installed many of these and have them at our lake home. It doesn't shine in your eyes, wow what an idea!

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/led-se...lp:product:1:4