Thread: Whip length?

Whip length?

What is the maximum distance allowed for a whip coming from something such as an A/C disconnect, junction box or something similar? 6 feet for A/C disconnect? Can anyone point out some NEC sections for this? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lock Nut View Post
    What is the maximum distance allowed for a whip coming from something such as an A/C disconnect, junction box or something similar? 6 feet for A/C disconnect? Can anyone point out some NEC sections for this? thanks
    Several factors may play into that answer such as , what size it is, what its made of, what's inside of it, and , on top of all that what the job specs say.

JAP>

Just about any length you want to make it however, if your using FMC and wanting to use the FMC and connectors as an EGC you are limited to 250.118(5) and 250.118(6) for liquidtight

Roger

3/8" FMC is limited to 6'.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

See 3XX.30 of the particular type of raceway being used, general rule for most flexible raceways is they must be supported within 12 inches of ends of raceway with additional supports at certain intervals depending on size or type. Some do have allowances for no supports other then the end fittings in certain situations.

I see a lot of leeway given from what NEC actually says when it comes to whips to air conditioners or motors/appliances.

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    3/8" FMC is limited to 6'.
    That too.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    I see a lot of leeway given from what NEC actually says when it comes to whips to air conditioners or motors/appliances.
    Yeah, can't say I've ever seen any support on an AC condenser unit whip of any length.

Quote Originally Posted by retirede View Post
    Yeah, can't say I've ever seen any support on an AC condenser unit whip of any length.
    sealtight bundled to lineset with wire ties?
    Dave Ruth
    Ready Electric

Quote Originally Posted by readydave8 View Post
    Noooo, never!

LFNMC might be strapped leaving the disco but it's not going to be strapped or supported on or near the unit. I'd rather it arc down and use the ground for support, or zip ties to the coolant lines, than see it pulled like a banjo string and rip the fittings or bend the sheet metal on the HVAC unit.

There is a 6' rule on spa installs (disco to tub) in the 08 code but I believe it has been removed since.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

Quote Originally Posted by readydave8 View Post
    I went out and looked at mine....nothing. But it's possible this was done in some cases and I didn't notice.
    Here, the HVAC guys run their own electrical so I'm sure some are more compliant than others.