Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hypothetical

Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post
    Voltage gradient changes quite a bit for fresh vs saltwater. Dirty water, no telling where that falls. If possible, de-energize the house before entering. I do not know the proper protocol or safety measure one should take in entering a powered dwelling that's still underwater. istm to be premature at that point. If I had to do it, and I'm not recommending this at all, but if it were me, I'd have a set of rubber hipwaders on, rubber gloves, make my way to the panel and kill power. If the water around the house has receded, I'd pump out a basement with a portable gas powered pump before entering it.
    Residential basements are rare to nonexistent in Houston.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaneyj View Post
    Doing flood clean up here in Houston and an interesting question comes up.
    What are the physics behind a 120v outlet being submerged in water... Assume a living room with several outlets submerged. Circuit stays energized.
    Jraef has kindly provided a link to procedures for refurbishing/replacing equipment that has been water damaged. None of the procedures are carried out live.

Personally, I wouldn't consider entering a building with live, submersed electrical equipment. I think many others wouldn't either so, to that extent it is a hypothetical and the question of how well the type of water conducts is an irrelevance. IMO.
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

Quote Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
    Jraef has kindly provided a link to procedures for refurbishing/replacing equipment that has been water damaged. None of the procedures are carried out live.

Personally, I wouldn't consider entering a building with live, submersed electrical equipment. I think many others wouldn't either so, to that extent it is a hypothetical and the question of how well the type of water conducts is an irrelevance. IMO.
    The physics of the scenario is what intrigued me. If you read my other posts you would see that safety is my real world concern.
    Nowhere in my post did I suggest I was gathering information in order to attempt the scenario you described.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Shaneyj View Post
    The physics of the scenario is what intrigued me. If you read my other posts you would see that safety is my real world concern.
    Nowhere in my post did I suggest I was gathering information in order to attempt the scenario you described.
    I described it as hypothetical. Which is agreeing with your take.

Michigan. It's a beautiful penninsula, I've looked around.
    Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post
    I do not know the proper protocol or safety measure one should take in entering a powered dwelling that's still underwater.
    Is there one? To me, that's like asking if there is a proper protocol for entering a powered dwelling that is on fire. The only way one should do either is in a life or death situation, IMHO.
    Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky

Quote Originally Posted by K8MHZ View Post
    Is there one? To me, that's like asking if there is a proper protocol for entering a powered dwelling that is on fire. The only way one should do either is in a life or death situation, IMHO.
    Nicely put.

I don't think OP was necessarily asking how to enter the flooded house while circuits are energized, I think he was asking what goes on in submerged energized wiring.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    I don't think OP was necessarily asking how to enter the flooded house while circuits are energized, I think he was asking what goes on in submerged energized wiring.
    What could go on since it's hypothetical.

Quote Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
    What could go on since it's hypothetical.
    I think hypothetical meant there is no specific case he is referring to, just a general question of what happens when energized 120 volt item is submerged in water.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    just a general question of what happens when energized 120 volt item is submerged in water.
    Then he have simply asked that general question. Nothing hypothetical about it.

Somewhat related, I've been to quite a few different countries and have seen practices that many would have raised eyebrows at.
    One was motor maintenance in the Far East. The motors were dismantled, the end bells and rotor removed. The stator was flushed out with water and then left to dry in the baking hot sun. Means and resources. So getting something soaked isn't the end of the world Operating it under such conditions is another matter.