Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hypothetical

Quote Originally Posted by Shaneyj View Post
    The physics of the scenario is what intrigued me.
    Electricians intelligently discussing principles of physics is less likely than blow-up dolls in passenger seats convincing police officers they are not a dummy.
    Roger Ramjet NoFixNoPay

Michigan. It's a beautiful penninsula, I've looked around.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsy View Post
    Electricians intelligently discussing principles of physics is less likely than blow-up dolls in passenger seats convincing police officers they are not a dummy.
    Especially if the electricians have never watched Big Bang Theory.
    Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky

Quote Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
    The motors were dismantled, the end bells and rotor removed. The stator was flushed out with water and then left to dry in the baking hot sun. Means and resources. So getting something soaked isn't the end of the world Operating it under such conditions is another matter.
    I will admit to having done that, would say I removed more problems then I added in every case.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    I will admit to having done that, would say I removed more problems then I added in every case.
    Yes. Not saying it's a bad thing. It's just not done here. We have a temperate climate that generally does not get hot enough for long enough to make it an effective tenique.
    Last edited by Little Bill; 09-11-17 at 12:45 AM. Reason: Removed controversial comments
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

Yes. Not saying it's a bad thing. It's just not done here. We have a temperate climate that generally does not get hot enough for long enough to make it an effective tenique. With global warming, hoo nose........

But it might get worse. Our moderate climate owes much to the Gulf Stream - thank you Mexico........
    I've read that some experts think warming will push the Gulf Stream into more northerly latitudes. Goodbye GB, hello Iceland?
    If you qat a plant with a steam system and mixing valves for hoses you can wash them out with some pretty hot water, takes grease off with little or no detergents, and leaves it hot enough it dries pretty quickly.

Then he have simply asked that general question. Nothing hypothetical about it.

Somewhat related, I've been to quite a few different countries and have seen practices that many would have raised eyebrows at.
    One was motor maintenance in the Far East. The motors were dismantled, the end bells and rotor removed. The stator was flushed out with water and then left to dry in the baking hot sun. Means and resources. So getting something soaked isn't the end of the world Operating it under such conditions is another matter.
    You still haven't added anything of value to my question. And since you're hung up on my wording, just for you I will ask the question without the word hypothetical this time...
    Rather than me typing it, just imagine I didn't use that word, and feel free to insert any other word that is more likely to get you to share your ideas or knowledge.
    Your bio says EE. You are the type of audience I was appealing to.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

...physics behind a 120v outlet being submerged in water... Assume a living room with several outlets submerged. Circuit stays energized.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk
    One of the basics of PHYSICS is experimentation.

To answer your own question, take a plastic bucket of the flood water (in a dry place) and put an outlet into the water connected to a cord and plug set.

Plug it in - observe. Depending on the water mineral/acid/base content, you will generate various levels of slight to vigorous steam bubbles. Measure the current. Count the outlets on that circuit, multiply - will the breaker trip?

Sprinkle some salt (NaCl or any other salt) into the water, watch the current rise. Do same thing with HCl or vinegar, again watch current rise.

Taking physics a step further, correlate amount of steam generated with current and heat of vaporization of water to verify the various formulatin of the laws of electrolysis,

etc.......

etc....

BTW, to see if the power has failed during storm with no one present, look at any 60 Hz clocks you may still use clocks. To see if your freezer protected the contents while power off, see if there is anything left of the single ice cube you placed on the shelf inside.

You still haven't added anything of value to my question. And since you're hung up on my wording, just for you I will ask the question without the word hypothetical this time...
    Rather than me typing it, just imagine I didn't use that word, and feel free to insert any other word that is more likely to get you to share your ideas or knowledge.
    Your bio says EE. You are the type of audience I was appealing to.
    I actually agreed with your wording.
    If the room has several outlets I assume that all would be on the same supply so the electric fields could get quite complex.
    We used directly water cooled SCR heatsinks in high current rectifiers in a hexaphase configuration. End to end on phase to antiphase would be about 100V so not hugely different to your 0-120V domestic supply. Conduction through the water wasn't a problem. The water was circulated through coolers so, apart from leakage, the same water was recycled.

An experiment we did at secondary school was to use electrolysis to split water into oxygen and hydrogen. We used regular tap water but it had to be laced with a little sulphuric acid to get the process to go a bit quicker.

FWIW, I have just checked our cold water with the probes about an inch apart and got around 300kohms.
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

This is not hypothetical. Is true.

Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky

Here's more!

Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky