Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Running Homeruns

Quote Originally Posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
    Your not...as Dennis said I would homerun pipe from the panel out of the closet to an accessible ceiling, probably about a 10'-15 pipe run to a box then MC cable from there to the construction space.
    That means you already have raceway, benders, and other raceway installing items on site. If the long home run is straight, you can put it up pretty quick, if it has a lot of bending and fitting then the cable may be quicker, Either way you still have that cable to raceway transition, just at a different point in the installation.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    That means you already have raceway, benders, and other raceway installing items on site. If the long home run is straight, you can put it up pretty quick, if it has a lot of bending and fitting then the cable may be quicker, Either way you still have that cable to raceway transition, just at a different point in the installation.
    Thanks

Look past your current project.

I just think installing HR's in EMT in ceilings to J- boxes and continue on with MC in wall partitions just looks like a more professional job. Granted it may take a little more labor, but GC's and owners notice and can effect whether or not you get another job with them without having to be the low bidder.

If you guys had a panel 50’ away feeding this area would yourun separate MC cables to a box close to the panel or would you just run a conduithomerun pipe with several circuits? Just curious how you guys would do this?Thanks.
    Depends on the loads and how many circuits. Derating when choosing the conduit over MC could greatly change the wiring method. You'll also need to derate for the conduit out of the panel if it's over a certain length.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by teco View Post
    Depends on the loads and how many circuits. Derating when choosing the conduit over MC could greatly change the wiring method. You'll also need to derate for the conduit out of the panel if it's over a certain length.
    Ampacity adjustments for number of current carrying conductors in raceway is understandable, length of circuit may require increase in conductor size because of voltage drop and effects cable or raceway methods, but if already increasing size for ampacity adjustments - you may have already taken care of voltage drop because of the increase.

Quote Originally Posted by Unbridled View Post
    I just think installing HR's in EMT in ceilings to J- boxes and continue on with MC in wall partitions just looks like a more professional job. Granted it may take a little more labor, but GC's and owners notice and can effect whether or not you get another job with them without having to be the low bidder.
    Don't get me wrong, I would love to do top quality, most aesthetically pleasing work all the time. However, the flip side to what you said is that the vast majority of non electricians, wont even notice or have an opinion on the difference between pipe and mc.
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Quote Originally Posted by Unbridled View Post
    Don't agree it has any impact on odds of getting future work. Really makes no difference when concealed as long as its not a sh*& show.

Don't agree it has any impact on odds of getting future work. Really makes no difference when concealed as long as its not a sh*& show.

there's that "it makes no difference, it will be covered up " comment I was waiting for....lol

Quote Originally Posted by cdslotz View Post
    there's that "it makes no difference, it will be covered up " comment I was waiting for....lol
    To an extent.