EGC necessary for Partial PVC conduit UG applications

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayp1

Situation: Underground is direct buried, 34.5kV, PVC Sch 80 conduit sweep (just a 90 degree elbow) installed into the termination cabinet. Question: Is a separate equipment grounding conduit required for each conduit sweep? Second question: Is a road sleeve 120 feet or short sleeve (Approx 10 feet) require a EGC in each conduit for direct burial cable applications? Thank you.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Situation: Underground is direct buried, 34.5kV, PVC Sch 80 conduit sweep (just a 90 degree elbow) installed into the termination cabinet. Question: Is a separate equipment grounding conduit required for each conduit sweep? Second question: Is a road sleeve 120 feet or short sleeve (Approx 10 feet) require a EGC in each conduit for direct burial cable applications? Thank you.
direct buried would imply to me that the EGC is part of the UG cable.

I don't see how a PVC sleeve of some sort would trigger the need to add an EGC.

Now, IF the UG cable was in metal conduit that was being used as the EGC, and some part of that conduit was PVC, than some means of bonding between the metal conduit segments would be needed.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
ok, I'm slow. I thought he wanted to bond the PVC sweep.:ashamed:

I am not real sure just what he is asking either. I can't see how any kind of PVC anything would trigger a bonding requirement at all unless it was installed as part of an otherwise metallic conduit system, but he seemed to be stating it was direct burial that implies no conduit at all.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'm picturing the OP's situation as having having one conductor per sweep/sleeve but there is only 1 EGC ran with the circuit. Sleeve 1 gets A phase, sleeve 2 gets B phase and sleeve 3 gets C phase. What do you do with the EGC? Run it with just one of the conductors or install taps at each side of each sleeve so there will be an EGC in each sleeve?

Status
Not open for further replies.