Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lead Water Pipe

Lead Water Pipe

I understand that a water pipe shouldn't be considered a supplemental electrode. Am I still required to bond the water main to the ground rod? Does a lead water main work as an electrode? Does the grounding electrode conductor have to stop at the ground rod and then run a grounding electrode bonding jumper between the rod and the water pipe, or can it run continuous without a break? Thanks in advance.

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    A rod supplements the water line.

I do do not know why lead would not work. Lead piping is another health issue entirely.

The GEC should be continuous to the first electrode but after that it is your choice
    Tom
    TBLO

Quote Originally Posted by ptonsparky View Post
    A rod supplements the water line.

I do do not know why lead would not work. Lead piping is another health issue entirely.
    Are you still allowed to use it?
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

Quote Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
    No new installs, but with the right water chemistry old existing pipes can be relatively safe.
    No mandate to remove them that I know of, except possibly local codes.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Quote Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post

The solder used for copper piping has been changed due to health issues, I doubt lead pipe would make the cut for new installation. I have seen lead piping but it has been a long time.
    Tom
    TBLO

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzito83 View Post
    I understand that a water pipe shouldn't be considered a supplemental electrode. Am I still required to bond the water main to the ground rod? Does a lead water main work as an electrode? Does the grounding electrode conductor have to stop at the ground rod and then run a grounding electrode bonding jumper between the rod and the water pipe, or can it run continuous without a break? Thanks in advance.
    A metal water pipe at least 10' in the dirt is a grounding electrode.

You are required to bond all grounding electrodes present to the electrical system.

If your only electrode present is a water pipe you are required to add a suplimental electrode, usually a ground rod is easiest but there are others on the list.

You can run individual grounding electrode conductors to each electrode or you can jumper from one to another.

Do you have access to a NEC handbook? It can be an old one. There are some helpful illustrations in there. At any rate look at art. 250.50
    Last edited by ActionDave; 09-08-17 at 02:31 PM.
    Once in a while you get shown the light
    In the strangest of places if you look at it right. Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by ptonsparky View Post
    The solder used for copper piping has been changed due to health issues, I doubt lead pipe would make the cut for new installation. I have seen lead piping but it has been a long time.
    Lead free solder for copper wire connections has been used here for quite some years now. I don't know about pipe joints but the one's I have used are compression joints what don't need solder. And much of the piping is PVC for low pressure applications.
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

I understand what you are saying. If it's existing, how would we know 10' is in the dirt?
    I've seen illustrations. Some show straight runs and some not. But my real concern for me was with led pipes. I don't think the code mentions anything about using led pipes as grounding electrodes.

Quote Originally Posted by ActionDave View Post
    A metal water pipe at least 10' in the dirt is a grounding electrode.

You are required to bond all grounding electrodes present to the electrical system.

If your only electrode present is a water pipe you are required to add a suplimental electrode, usually a ground rod is easiest but there are others on the list.

You can run individual grounding electrode conductors to each electrode or you can jumper from one to another.

Do you have access to a NEC handbook? It can be an old one. There are some helpful illustrations in there. At any rate look at art. 250.50

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzito83 View Post
    I understand what you are saying. If it's existing, how would we know 10' is in the dirt?
    I've seen illustrations. Some show straight runs and some not. But my real concern for me was with led pipes. I don't think the code mentions anything about using led pipes as grounding electrodes.
    The code says Metal Underground Water Pipe, so I'm saying it qualifies. You don't know if it ten feet for sure, but it likely is. I would bond it.
    Once in a while you get shown the light
    In the strangest of places if you look at it right. Robert Hunter

Thanks all for the Input.