210.52(C)(1),(2), &(4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Looks like the area you guys mentioned has an inset and wouldn't allow a vertical mounted receptacle. So there might be enough room to mount one horizontally. Or maybe between the decorative inset on the solid pieces you could mount one.

Edit: After re-looking at the pic of the island, shouldn't the receptacles be on the same side as the sink?
I didn't notice the sink at first. I don't know of a code to do this but probably would be more where the HO would use them.

John120/240

Edit: After re-looking at the pic of the island, shouldn't the receptacles be on the same side as the sink?
I didn't notice the sink at first. I don't know of a code to do this but probably would be more where the HO would use them.

Yes on the sink side is typically where I would put them, but the sink side is not in jxofaltrds picture. Maybe mounting area on sink side is taken up by doors or drawers.

Last edited:

david

There is no reason it cannot be on the back side of the sink.

By the reverences given i was thinking the OP wanted a discussion on the sink dividing the upper counter space, and if two rec. would be a requirement for this island.
And since he included the reference to counter wall space perhaps a discussion where the lower counter space butts up against the higher counter

Last edited:

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
By the reverences given i was thinking the OP wanted a discussion on the sink dividing the upper counter space, and if two rec. would be a requirement for this island.
And since he included the reference to counter wall space perhaps a discussion where the lower counter space butts up against the higher counter

Yes I was looking to see if anyone thought wall space is applicable. First two response, I agree with, looked at it as an island only.

Could there be wall space? Possibly. Even if it was wall space could I use the exception in (1)? :)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

The entire piece is an island. I don't see how you can call it anything else.

david

The entire piece is an island. I don't see how you can call it anything else.

I too would strike the reference to counter wall space. I do have to admit he has me thinking about how the upper counter would be look at. Does the sink divide the counter space?

I guess 210.52 (C) (4) could be applied to the counter space with the sink

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
This is where these come in handy http://sillite.com/newconstruction.php

Black_SCRMB.jpg

scrw-profile-cutout.jpg

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
One receptacle behind one candle holder. It is one island.

Trim guy can figure out how to make it look good.

Not sure I agree with the concept that one receptacle is req. Art. 210.52 (C)(4) talks about the depth of the counter top and I see this as 2 countertops not one. Also another can of worms will be open if the back side of the counter faces a living room.

210.52(C)(4) said:
(4) Separate Spaces. Countertop spaces separated by
rangetops, refrigerators, or sinks shall be considered as
separate countertop spaces in applying the requirements of
210.52(C)(1). If a range, counter-mounted cooking unit, or
sink is installed in an island or peninsular countertop and
the depth of the countertop behind the range, countermounted
cooking unit, or sink is less than 300 mm (12 in.),
the range, counter-mounted cooking unit, or sink shall be
considered to divide the countertop space into two separate
countertop spaces. Each separate countertop space shall
comply with the applicable requirements in 210.52(C).

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Not sure I agree with the concept that one receptacle is req. Art. 210.52 (C)(4) talks about the depth of the counter top and I see this as 2 countertops not one. Also another can of worms will be open if the back side of the counter faces a living room.

A difference in elevation is not listed as an object that creates a break in counter space. It is one island, because there is plenty of counter space behind the sink to qualify.

Status
Not open for further replies.