Nm staples

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

Some manufacturers specify the number of NM cables that can be placed under their product.most all I have seen states (2) 14/2 (2) 12/2. I recently found a brand that only says'"for securing 14/2 14/3 and 12/2 NM cables". Some time back I had a rough in turned down because I had 3 cables under 1 staple. AHJ stated install had to be per manufacturers labeling.If I placed them so I had (2) a(1) then I violated the 1.25" rule.Anybody here run into stapling issues?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It isn't an issue if you use cable stackers or just install 2 wire under one staple.

BPSTCKR-15.jpg

PetrosA

I use King brand staples that are rated for 3x 12/3 for all my romex (unless I use stackers). The regular staples are too small for my fingers to hold and hammer at the same time.

electricalist

I use King brand staples that are rated for 3x 12/3 for all my romex (unless I use stackers). The regular staples are too small for my fingers to hold and hammer at the same time.
Exactly,,,I was on a rough,,20 degrees ,, trying to get done and SMACK I hit my thumb. I turned to my boss and said I need to go to the truck ,,he said FOR WHAT ! I said to cry in peace,,,as i started toward the truck ,,,thump thump thump THUMP THUMP THUMP....

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I've recently had an inspector claim that you have to install the staples to manufacturers specifications. In MA you have to use insulated staples. In order to put more than one wire under them you have to use the bigger staples with the red plastic insulation.

For ten years there was no problem with putting two 12-2 or 14-2 or even a 14-2 and a 14-3 under one staple. And in most towns it still isn't.

Oh well, I had been resisting stackers because they look sloppy and I prefer a solid support point before a box, but I'm getting used to them and it's obviously easier and quicker when installing three and four gang boxes.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I've recently had an inspector claim that you have to install the staples to manufacturers specifications. In MA you have to use insulated staples. In order to put more than one wire under them you have to use the bigger staples with the red plastic insulation.

For ten years there was no problem with putting two 12-2 or 14-2 or even a 14-2 and a 14-3 under one staple. And in most towns it still isn't.

Oh well, I had been resisting stackers because they look sloppy and I prefer a solid support point before a box, but I'm getting used to them and it's obviously easier and quicker when installing three and four gang boxes.

I like to use the big grey staples for switch boxes, you can keep the cables flat and neat.:thumbsup:

ritelec

3x12/3?

Got a part number.? Went to king sight found for 2 3 wires. Thanks

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
With multiple cables above load centers I have done EMT one hole strap around the cables and zip tied the cables to the one hole strap. Or use a staples then zip tie the cables to it.

I don't know why some installers and/or inspectors get bent out of shape about the staples, how many under one, listed non listed....... I don't see what the issue is with multiple cables under one staple or strap. As long as the cable does not move and it i snot damaged because of the strap/staple, then I am OK.

electricalist

With multiple cables above load centers I have done EMT one hole strap around the cables and zip tied the cables to the one hole strap. Or use a staples then zip tie the cables to it.

I don't know why some installers and/or inspectors get bent out of shape about the staples, how many under one, listed non listed....... I don't see what the issue is with multiple cables under one staple or strap. As long as the cable does not move and it i snot damaged because of the strap/staple, then I am OK.
I was thinking the same thing,,,if I put too many wires or pinch one ,,,Ill be the one fixing it, besides AFCI is the safety net..
Sometimes I think its about selling a new thing. 2 wires under 1 staples has created lots of jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.