Troubleshooting fluorescent lamps

Status
Not open for further replies.

guschash

I'm checking a single tube fluorescent lamp. I measure the stating voltage I get 560v. Trouble shooting book says voltage should be 3 times operating voltage to produce the arc required to light the lamp. Ok 3 x 120 =360v. I measure from one socket to the other. This is instant start. I figure what the heck and flip switch the tube blows. Ballest , bad tube, . Would a bad plunger socket cause this, say it's shorted? What is the best way to check fluorescent lamps.

electricalist

I put a new lamp in and if it doesnt come on its getting a new ballast and lamp.
If its a t8 or better there are testers that say they can tell you if its the bulbs or ballast.
IMO if i can install a new bulb and ballast for the same price as trouble shooting it ,,,,I give cut to the chase a make it new.

I agree, you can spend a lot of time just trying to satisfy your own curiosity. If it doesnt fire a good tube, and you can't see anything obvious with the socket wiring, and of coarse input voltage is good... replace ballast and tube. You will have less call backs this way. Take the old ballast home and play with it on your own time.

Status
Not open for further replies.