LED lamps

Status
Not open for further replies.

chilada

FWC mandates a "sea turtle" light amber or red in color by the ocean. I found a 20 watt amber Edison base LED lamp approved by FWC.
My dumb question is... is the current draw on a 120 volt circuit the same as a 20 watt incandescent lamp or a 20 watt Low Pressure Sodium? Is a watt a watt??

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
FWC mandates a "sea turtle" light amber or red in color by the ocean. I found a 20 watt amber Edison base LED lamp approved by FWC.
My dumb question is... is the current draw on a 120 volt circuit the same as a 20 watt incandescent lamp or a 20 watt Low Pressure Sodium? Is a watt a watt??

Welcome to the Forum.

FWC=Florida Wildlife Commission.

LED manufactures want us to believe consumption would be the same as a 20W incandescent. A 20W LPS would consume what the ballast consumes, not the lamp.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

Is the lamp is 20 watt LED or is it 20 watt equivalent? If it is 20 watt then I am certain it is much brighter then the 20 watt units you mentioned. A lot depends on design but generally I find that an LED is about 6-7 times that of others. One should really look at the lumens not the wattage to compare.

I installed a 64 watt LED wall wart and it was as bright as a 400 watt HPS wall wart unit

Status
Not open for further replies.