Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: CCTV Professionals -- Recommendation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chico, CA
    Posts
    649

    CCTV Professionals -- Recommendation

    I need a decent RAID 10, SATA, Hardware Controller for a Milestone VMS Management Server. Keyword is: Decent. A compromise between price and quality. Something you wouldn't be ashamed of selling to one of your more price conscious customers while you, yourself, felt reasonably confidant that future issues would be unlikely.

    What RAID do you use? What RAID would you use? Any other options?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chico, CA
    Posts
    649
    How about PCIe controllers?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    2,093
    post #2 - PCI/PCIe is just the iface to the mobo. i assume OP meant SATA for SATA drives.

    post #1 - how many disks are needed? many mobo's have raid chip on them, so check that too.

    way too many controllers to say which one is good for your needs
    https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...vu6upgf0_e_p19
    Last edited by FionaZuppa; 09-15-17 at 11:35 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,328
    What is Raid 10
    Are you referring to RAID 1 and windows 10?

    I'd get a mother board that has raid built in. ASUS

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Sierrasparky View Post
    What is Raid 10
    Are you referring to RAID 1 and windows 10?

    I'd get a mother board that has raid built in. ASUS
    It's disk mirroring+disk striping (Raid 1 + Raid 0), usually written as Raid 1+0. It requires a minimum of 4 (identical!) drives. It provides redundancy and speed, but at reduced capacity. Raid 5 provides data protection and higher capacity for the same number of drives, but rebuilding a failed drive takes longer, and if you have another failure in the meantime you're toast; assuming no backups.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,328
    Quote Originally Posted by gadfly56 View Post
    It's disk mirroring+disk striping (Raid 1 + Raid 0), usually written as Raid 1+0. It requires a minimum of 4 (identical!) drives. It provides redundancy and speed, but at reduced capacity. Raid 5 provides data protection and higher capacity for the same number of drives, but rebuilding a failed drive takes longer, and if you have another failure in the meantime you're toast; assuming no backups.
    Thanks,
    I had a raid system once with 2 drives. Now I mostly use a laptop.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Sierrasparky View Post
    Thanks,
    I had a raid system once with 2 drives. Now I mostly use a laptop.
    That was probably Raid 1, mirroring. Striping alone is an invitation to nuke your data. There is no way to recover data from a striped set. It's primary utility is to create a single volume from multiple drives and because the computer can call data from every drive at the same time, it can be very fast.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •