My Wyotech teacher tonight argued with me about grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Wyotech teacher tonight argued with me about grounding.He told me a system couldn't work without grounding and I asked him then how did we have electricity before we started grounding and his answer was we have always used grounding. when I proved him wrong he went on to say that the neutral was the ground and that electricity doesn't go back to the source it goes to the ground. I told him he needed to watch your videos and he said you didn't know anything and no one acknowledges you and threw the nec at me and told me to find where your name is in it. He also said that's why they don't use your textbooks at our school. I told him no that Wyotech is to cheap and not concerned about us learning anything..That school is a joke I'm pretty sure the teachers aren't even journeymen and the definitely are not qualified to teach. Tonight was definitely my last day. They are a hazard to this Industry. If anyone has any idea of how to report this school please let me know..The teachers even sell the students tools that different companies provide to the students. The so called teachers give you the answers to the homework and the answers to the tests right before you take the test. This school is fraudulent. Wyotech- Fremont

USMC1302

I think in another unrelated thread someone mentioned a Wyotech was offering electrical training. I thought they were auto/diesel training school too.

mgookin

It looks like they are an automotive training school which recently branched out into MEP's.

This is what happens when you use "professional instructors" who know nothing about the subject they are teaching.

In automotive, they call the cathode the ground and in a car, remove that "ground" and your system will not work.

Seems like an unqualified instructor is teaching the NEC.

Henley

This country has an increasing need for Skilled Trade instruction. Industry doesn't have the apprenticeship programs to handle the demand and
the result is an increasing number of Trade Schools and Community Colleges offering programs. Unfortunately, some don't do a very good job.
This Country's educational system has always relied on "Degrees" as a measure of competence, and ignoring most professional licensing. The result is a lot of "unqualified" instructors. I really believe the trend is changing due to the IT Industry proving College isn't the only path to becoming educated in a specific area. For now though, with all the easy money out there for students, there are some folks just out for a buck.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
(He) threw the nec at me and told me to find where your name is in it.
First, tell him to look through the ROPs (Reports on Proposals) for the last five code cycles, to see how many times Mike Holt submitted proposed changes that were approved. He will discover that Mike has had a major influence over the NEC's requirements over the years.

Secondly, tell him to do a Google or Bing search for "National Electrical Code," and see how high on the list of hits the name "Mike Holt" appears.

And finally, welcome to the forum.

Besoeker

My Wyotech teacher tonight argued with me about grounding.He told me a system couldn't work without grounding and I asked him then how did we have electricity before we started grounding and his answer was we have always used grounding. when I proved him wrong he went on to say that the neutral was the ground and that electricity doesn't go back to the source it goes to the ground.
It appears that he doesn't understand the concept of an electrical circuit.
He shouldn't be teaching.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Wyotech does offer an "Electrician" program, without mention of licensing, but the intent is for training people to start working toward getting their license. It might be a California thing for Wyotech, because you MUST have a license here now to work as an electrician, which is problematic for those who don't want to go the union route. So although Wyotech is known for being an Automotive and Heavy Equipment training program around the country, they did an expansion a few years ago to get into other fields. It used to be called the Sierra Academy before being bought by Wyotech.

That said, Wyotech themselves are now owned by Corinthian Colleges Inc., the same people who own Heald Business College and several other trade schools. Corinthian is in deep financial trouble because of getting cut off by the Feds on student loans and grants, due to lawsuits against them for fraud and misleading advertisements, as well as having job placement rates far below the Federal minimums to continue having their students receive federal aid. They have been closing down schools and selling off assets for the past couple of years now, including shutting down all operations in Canada and a few around the country that made national headlines when their poor students showed up for classes to find the doors locked, with no recourse to get their tuition back. The result of all of this is that they have been losing teachers as fast as they can find other jobs (leaving behind only the ones who can't I suppose). An acquaintance of mine who WAS a J-man just stopped teaching there because of this, they have not hired a replacement for him in over a year now, he says they keep calling him and begging him to come back, even part time.

electric_cal

My Wyotech teacher tonight argued with me about grounding.He told me a system couldn't work without grounding and I asked him then how did we have electricity before we started grounding and his answer was we have always used grounding. when I proved him wrong he went on to say that the neutral was the ground and that electricity doesn't go back to the source it goes to the ground. I told him he needed to watch your videos and he said you didn't know anything and no one acknowledges you and threw the nec at me and told me to find where your name is in it. He also said that's why they don't use your textbooks at our school. I told him no that Wyotech is to cheap and not concerned about us learning anything..That school is a joke I'm pretty sure the teachers aren't even journeymen and the definitely are not qualified to teach. Tonight was definitely my last day. They are a hazard to this Industry. If anyone has any idea of how to report this school please let me know..The teachers even sell the students tools that different companies provide to the students. The so called teachers give you the answers to the homework and the answers to the tests right before you take the test. This school is fraudulent. Wyotech- Fremont

You should contact the California Department of Industrial Relations, and file a complaint. This type of school could lead to someone being killed or seriously injured.

kwired

Electron manager
I would like to recognize what it took for the OP who appears to be fairly new in the area of elecrical, to know enough to be able to know of any incompetence the instructor may have, there possibly are many others being misinformed in their training and may never really get what they deserve out of their training.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
How does electricity work on a plane or in space without a ground connection?

Instructor will probably say:
"Planes do not fall under the NEC {based on 90.2(B)(1)} and besides for your info planes do not use 120V-240V systems, they are electronics, only the 120V and higher system go to ground"

:lol::lol:

kwired

Electron manager
Instructor will probably say:
"Planes do not fall under the NEC {based on 90.2(B)(1)} and besides for your info planes do not use 120V-240V systems, they are electronics, only the 120V and higher system go to ground"

:lol::lol:
The electrons do know the difference of when the NEC applies and when it doesn't and do have different behaviors for each instance. We never had "stray currents" or overheated conductors from too much load or things of that nature before the NEC came about:)

gnuuser

sadly most of the people teaching are given a guide to follow and the guide may not be correct or interpreted correctly.
and its a case of throwing ball to someone who may not be apt for the job:lol::lol:
and this is what they risk
my major beef with education systems is that in order to get a degree from any college you are forced to take a lot of prerequisite courses that have absolutely nothing to do with what you are training for.
For example: studying for Diesel Mechanic and having to take courses in performing arts and politics.
aside from being useless to that technical field of training these courses are also a waste of time and money for someone training to be a heavy equipment tech.
finances are hard enough with out that crap:happysad:
and our glorious politicians won't do a thing about it!

kwired

Electron manager
sadly most of the people teaching are given a guide to follow and the guide may not be correct or interpreted correctly.
and its a case of throwing ball to someone who may not be apt for the job:lol::lol:
and this is what they risk
my major beef with education systems is that in order to get a degree from any college you are forced to take a lot of prerequisite courses that have absolutely nothing to do with what you are training for.
For example: studying for Diesel Mechanic and having to take courses in performing arts and politics.
aside from being useless to that technical field of training these courses are also a waste of time and money for someone training to be a heavy equipment tech.
finances are hard enough with out that crap:happysad:
and our glorious politicians won't do a thing about it!
Other topic areas certainly don't hurt anything, but it may be a little difficult to justify the need for some classes.
When I went to a community college to learn this trade - to get the degree you not only took direct electrical related classes we also took a first aid class, a mathematics class, a personal finance class, a human relations class and a career composition class (learned how to write resumes, and interview process related studies). I don't regret taking any of those classes, and maybe even could come up with some others that maybe don't seem to be directly related to the trade but are not a bad idea to take.

I know the utility linemen in the same building as us took some basic computer classes - and this was before the PC ownership explosion took place and before advanced graphic user interfaces (like windows operating system) came out, most of what they learned was in command prompt type operating systems, but I'd guess most of them didn't regret learning what they did in those classes - but maybe took a few years before it hit them.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Those other non related courses you folks talk about make us more literate in our education. This may at time be a pain in the but it makes us better as individuals.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Those other non related courses you folks talk about make us more literate in our education. This may at time be a pain in the but it makes us better as individuals.

Depends on what they are. If you want to take (and pay for) them thinking that they will make you more literate, fine. I have no problem with some math as well as english and writing. If you are going to be an electrician it would certainly be nice to be able to write and communicate and figure profit, loss and do electrical calculations. But those "institutions" that require 14th century poetry, art, history, gym and other irrelevant courses just shows me that they are out to empty your pockets.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.