Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Undersized generator?

Quote Originally Posted by iwire64 View Post
    Well, it got us through Irma. Thanks for the input.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
    Good deal. The other thing to think about with genset sizing for residences is most people know they can't run everything at once, and even the ones that dont know, cant run everything at once. Sizing only gets dicey when trying to backfeed a main panel (with an interlock kit) with a small or portable generator.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

If your POCO meter also measures maximum demand, you can use that figure to check the size of your generator. However, the size of the generator need to be much bigger than that if you are block loading the generator ie putting all loads at once on the generator instead of applying the load gradually.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahib View Post
    If your POCO meter also measures maximum demand, you can use that figure to check the size of your generator. However, the size of the generator need to be much bigger than that if you are block loading the generator ie putting all loads at once on the generator instead of applying the load gradually.
    Smarter ATS's can do this for you automatically. The only load I have in my house that could be problematic is the AC. It's on a 40 DP breaker, and the panel buzzes nicely every time it turns on. I could manage every load except AC on a 7kW unit without difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by gadfly56 View Post
    The only load I have in my house that could be problematic is the AC. It's on a 40 DP breaker, and the panel buzzes nicely every time it turns on. I could manage every load except AC on a 7kW unit without difficulty.
    What about having an inverter AC to solve the generator starting problem ? Of course, the running load i/c AC should not exceed generator rating ie 7kW.

Quote Originally Posted by HappElectrician View Post
    A question for you: Is it a 65 AMP generator or a 65 KVA?
    A 65 kW (kVA) generator would be a pretty big one for a residence.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahib View Post
    What about having an inverter AC to solve the generator starting problem ? Of course, the running load i/c AC should not exceed generator rating ie 7kW.
    Do you mean a soft starter of some kind? I doubt it would be economical for any house in the US of my size to retrofit or design new such an option, but I could be wrong. Seeing all the issues folks have here with VFD's, I'm not a big fan of the concept for the typical consumer application.

We are talking about newer AC units, especially mini splits, which have a built in VFD to run the compressor at partial power for added efficiency. The soft start is a bonus of that design.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    We are talking about newer AC units, especially mini splits, which have a built in VFD to run the compressor at partial power for added efficiency. The soft start is a bonus of that design.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Is that the design standard now? Even for non-split units?

Quote Originally Posted by gadfly56 View Post
    Is that the design standard now? Even for non-split units?
    Not the design standard yet, in that it costs more. But available in almost all sizes and types for a price.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    Not the design standard yet, in that it costs more. But available in almost all sizes and types for a price.
    Hmmmm, live and learn.