Replacing 480v highbay with led

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian S.

So I know the answer is no but I cannot find an definitive answer to this is, this second time I have this issue last time we rewired to 277. Can a LED High bay luminaire replace a 480v hb and be compliant based on 2011. NEC. I apologize if this is a repeat topic but I couldn't find anything in searches

kwired

Electron manager
So I know the answer is no but I cannot find an definitive answer to this is, this second time I have this issue last time we rewired to 277. Can a LED High bay luminaire replace a 480v hb and be compliant based on 2011. NEC. I apologize if this is a repeat topic but I couldn't find anything in searches
Can you find a 480 volt LED luminaire? If so is it listed?

kwired

Electron manager
it appears to be UL 1598. but looking for code to support it for engineer
How about the fact that there is no code rejecting it means it can be used? I see a couple places where there are voltage limitations - but they are either for dwelling applications or for other luminaire types, but I could be missing something so please point out to me (or ask your engineer that seems to think there is a limitation) any section that does give restrictions in this area.

It only seems to make sense that if there were 480 volt luminaires in existence before and now with the conversions of newer technologies taking place that they would design something that will work in place of what was existing, it may take extra effort to get something listed though, but once you get it listed - how can it be rejected if used per listing?

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
I see a couple places where there are voltage limitations - but they are either for dwelling applications or for other luminaire types,

210.6(C)(1) specifically allows listed LED luminaires to be supplied by circuits exceeding 120V between conductors and not exceeding 277V to ground.

kwired

Electron manager
210.6(C)(1) specifically allows listed LED luminaires to be supplied by circuits exceeding 120V between conductors and not exceeding 277V to ground.

I was looking through 410, something told me I should have looked in chapter 1 or 2 for more information that may apply:ashamed1:

Brian S.

How about the fact that there is no code rejecting it means it can be used? I see a couple places where there are voltage limitations - but they are either for dwelling applications or for other luminaire types, but I could be missing something so please point out to me (or ask your engineer that seems to think there is a limitation) any section that does give restrictions in this area.

It only seems to make sense that if there were 480 volt luminaires in existence before and now with the conversions of newer technologies taking place that they would design something that will work in place of what was existing, it may take extra effort to get something listed though, but once you get it listed - how can it be rejected if used per listing?

Reply I got from engineer;
"I initially read the same code passage and thought we were in good shape. I then got some feedback from the design team that led me to believe we were limited to 277V. I have since gone back to review the voltage limitations and now believe that we are fine with 480V single phase for any fixtures we are supporting from the roof structure. This will include the high bay areas over the third tier shelving and the fixtures mounted over the new racks in the addition. We will need to revise our fixture specification accordingly.

Just as a matter of general safety, we will stay with 277V within the shelving units below the new third tier. "

Once again THANK YOU

kwired

Electron manager
Reply I got from engineer;
"I initially read the same code passage and thought we were in good shape. I then got some feedback from the design team that led me to believe we were limited to 277V. I have since gone back to review the voltage limitations and now believe that we are fine with 480V single phase for any fixtures we are supporting from the roof structure. This will include the high bay areas over the third tier shelving and the fixtures mounted over the new racks in the addition. We will need to revise our fixture specification accordingly.

Just as a matter of general safety, we will stay with 277V within the shelving units below the new third tier. "

Once again THANK YOU
david pointed out the section that limits us to 277.

Status
Not open for further replies.