Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stolen wire hypothetical

Stolen wire hypothetical

I'm in the process of re-wiring an entire house (open studs) in a not-so-nice neighborhood and I've been worried that somebody will break-in and steal the wire I just installed. Should that happen, who would be responsible? I'm hoping it's not me. I assume the owner has insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Coppersmith View Post
    I'm in the process of re-wiring an entire house (open studs) in a not-so-nice neighborhood and I've been worried that somebody will break-in and steal the wire I just installed. Should that happen, who would be responsible? I'm hoping it's not me. I assume the owner has insurance.
    You should put in your contract that material is owners responsibility once delivered on site. I would think that once it is installed it is the owners anyway. I know we aren't allowed to remove material for non payment once installed!
    If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Owner is responsible for doing what's necessary to secure the site unless otherwise stated in the general conditions. This used to happen all the time when plumbers used copper pipe. Nobody wanted our wire.

-Hal

I would not assume anything.

Legally I think it depends on when the owner takes title to the work done unless the contract states otherwise. Rather than getting legal advise from random people on the Internet you might want to just ask your lawyer. That is why you pay him. Just out of curiosity maybe you could tell us what he says about it.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by petersonra View Post

Legally I think it depends on when the owner takes title to the work done unless the contract states otherwise. Rather than getting legal advise from random people on the Internet you might want to just ask your lawyer. That is why you pay him. Just out of curiosity maybe you could tell us what he says about it.
    Good points. We had a clause in our T&Cs that stated title to the goods would not pass to the customer until payment for them was received. I don't know if that would be permitted there and, TBH, never had a situation where we needed to test it.
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

I don't really like this as a blanket rule. It would only encourage carelessness. There are many unscrupulous people out there and bosses would start caring less about hiring scummiest workers with a long rap sheet if they're not on the hook for thefts.

How well would you look after stuff when you have nothing to lose if it is stolen?

I wish I could afford a lawyer. You know they charge twice as much per hour as Mr. Sparky.

I wish I could afford a lawyer. You know they charge twice as much per hour as Mr. Sparky.
    These days you can't afford not to have a lawyer.
    Bob

Why do you think he said:

Just out of curiosity maybe you could tell us what he says about it.

I had it written into my later contracts that any vandalism, theft, acts of God, etc, were not covered for replacement purposes... and that was for v/d/v wire that is pretty much worthless as scrap. Was more when one former boss pissed off another trade and then over the weekend, all his homeruns were found cut in the ceiling.

Dont P/O other trades. and use locked Conex boxes, because unopened spools/rolls of cable, unopened devices, unused firestop, etc. are ripe targets for theft.

Once it's installed, it's the customer's responsibility to secure it. I'm certainly not wasting the time to pull out 18 miles of already firestopped and terminated cable or to sabotage my own work. If I've installed that far, it's because I have been paid to do so. and if I haven't been paid, those materials sit on my truck, not on their site.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!