Has the AFCI requirement changed the way you plan your wiring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

subman

Has the AFCI requirement changed the way you plan your wiring? The way I was taught was to seperate lighting circuits from recept. circuits. With the cost of AFCI breakers in mind, I'm hearing some electricians combine lighting and recept. on the same circuit to save the cost of an additional AFCI breaker.

Just wondering how some of you feel about this.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I've never separated lighting from receptacle load, except as required by Code (the classic example would be Code such as the "small appliance branch circuit" being restricted to "receptacle outlets").

AFCI has changed my use of the multiwire branch circuit. I am much more likely to do 120 Volt homeruns, in order to minimize area of outage compared to two pole disconnects.

I am also more likely to energize the fully made up branch circuit (all splicing done, neutrals and hots capped), without devices, with the AFCI as part of the roughin.

I've never separated lighting from receptacle load, except as required by Code (the classic example would be Code such as the "small appliance branch circuit" being restricted to "receptacle outlets").

AFCI has changed my use of the multiwire branch circuit. I am much more likely to do 120 Volt homeruns, in order to minimize area of outage compared to two pole disconnects.

I am also more likely to energize the fully made up branch circuit (all splicing done, neutrals and hots capped), without devices, with the AFCI as part of the roughin.

Well said, agree

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I still keep my lights on 15A and receptacles on 20A separate circuits.

Energizing the circuits with AFCI is a great idea at rough in. :thumbsup::thumbsup: Even though I have never done that.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
I still keep my lights on 15A and receptacles on 20A separate circuits.
When I think about that, I see that as kind of a Code required separation because of the different amperages.

What I tend to do, rather than separate lighting and receptacles, is to have two, or more, different circuits present in the outlets of a space or room. Whether I do this tends to be driven by the framing of the structure and the relation to the adjacent spaces or rooms. It's not hard and fast that I get two circuits in a space, but many times, poking the second circuit into a room saves wire and time.

This does make the panel legend a little more detailed, but I've long since moved on from the manufacturer supplied label to a computer generated one.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
No multi wire BC. More than one BC feeding a room or area. #of circuits has probably gone up, but is not entirely caused by AFCIs.

Testing with AFCIs at rough in is a good idea.

To fulfill full disclosure and make things more relevant, we have one new house scheduled this year and was totally surprised to get that one. Less than 2000 sq ft. Don't know how I screwed up...

We do get in on a few remodels and service changes.

Occupation
Inspector
Has the AFCI requirement changed the way you plan your wiring? The way I was taught was to seperate lighting circuits from recept. circuits. With the cost of AFCI breakers in mind, I'm hearing some electricians combine lighting and recept. on the same circuit to save the cost of an additional AFCI breaker.

Just wondering how some of you feel about this.

My major change to wiring now is by using 12/2/2 and 14/2/2 NM for runs where I would have taken advantage of MWBC's.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
How detailed does your computer generated panel schedule get ? Could you post a copy of a common schedule ?
Sure. The PDF attached here is of an actual existing dwelling that got a service upgrade from 60 A fuse center to 100 A circuit breaker service center. The local jurisdiction had ordinance that required compliance with a jurisdictional "minimum electrical maintenance code" throughout the property when the service size changed. So, what you are reading has a LOT of back story about how it all came to be grouped the way you read it. Suffice it to say that this is the label of the inspected and approved Premises Wiring (System) for a real property.

Attachments

• Example of Panel Label.pdf
    12.1 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.