Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many circuits do I need to existing Laundry Room?

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Bite the bullet, make it as new and don't forget those nasty AFCI if required.
    Tom
    TBLO

I would love to.

I'll give it another look but not a piece of cake to get it back to the panel

Thank you
    " I'm at a crucial part of my painting "...........Monika Danneman

Quote Originally Posted by ritelec View Post
    Thank you all. Sorry didn't mention the receptacle need to be moved a couple feet.

The receptacle needs to be relocated.

I would think that would require an electrician ???

Please correct me if I'm wrong ? Also. There's no receptacle by the little sink. Was going to throw one in

Still rehab code ?
    The "thrown in" receptacle is a "new outlet" in an area that is a Bath. I am not extremely familiar with the Jersey Rehab Code, but, to me, this one is simple. As a new outlet in the Bath, the outlet must satisfy the new construction Code in effect at that ranch dwelling.I seem to recall that the Jersey Rehab Code does limit the application of AFCI and GFCI in rehab areas.
    Another Al in Minnesota

Ok. So it was existing and I relocated it or I don't install one.
    Does that put me back in the game ?

:- )

Thank you

Edit. Was thinking if there was one in the laundry by the sink area ...which there may be but I didn't see it :- )
    Then it was part of the existing laundry right

Or as mentioned , no extra plug by sink

Wow but what if i just added a receptacle on a wall by the sink but not at the sink height but down low. Or even on another wall for convenience?

Does adding a plug add to the laundry circuit or potential new bath.

Guess it could be twisted either way.

As mentioned. Would think the extra bath circ should be there. But. Well old people. Not easy to get to panel. Lack of $$$.

We'll see how it plays out.

Thanks for all of the advice
    Last edited by ritelec; 09-12-17 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    Look up the definition of bathroom. The NEC requires a circuit for the bathroom receptacle. It also requires one for the laundry
    Yes, that's what I would say as well. As long as you have dedicated circuits for the laundry and bathroom receptacles, you're good. The lighting can (and should) be wired to the existing lighting circuit. But most importantly, be sure you sell them on a new panel and get that dangerous FPE panel out of there! If they say they can't afford to, you need to say "Can you afford not to?".

Readily accessible laundry recept ??

Thank you. Well the inspector called with questions. As per the rehab code I could tap off the lighting circ for the sink receptacle, however gas dryers are not permitted in bathrooms

So the plans are going to change to flip this into the garage and do this and that .... So I said plan on a route to the panel for new circuits and a new service. Is what it is.

Question : in talking to the inspector he mentioned the washer dryer receptacle (120 v ) couldn't be behind the washer dryer. ???? They (it) need to be accessible.

You can't put a receptacle about 4 ' high on a wall behind a washer dryer anymore that they can plug into ??
    It has to be to the side ?

Quote Originally Posted by ritelec View Post

Question : in talking to the inspector he mentioned the washer dryer receptacle (120 v ) couldn't be behind the washer dryer. ???? They (it) need to be accessible.

You can't put a receptacle about 4 ' high on a wall behind a washer dryer anymore that they can plug into ??
    It has to be to the side ?
    A GFI receptacle has to be readily accessible. That might be what he's thinking?
    Barring any local codes, you most certainly can put a receptacle behind the washer, fridge, etc.
    Ron

Ok. Thanks for clarifying.

I think the inspector means that you can not hide the receptacles behind the washer and dryer. They are a disconnecting means so must be accessible. I put mine at 48" to the top of the outlet boxes…next to the water supply valves and standpipe.

Quote Originally Posted by mlnk View Post
    I think the inspector means that you can not hide the receptacles behind the washer and dryer. They are a disconnecting means so must be accessible. I put mine at 48" to the top of the outlet boxes…next to the water supply valves and standpipe.
    I don't think the disconnecting rule applies. The inspector is probably thinking about the GFCI accessibility requirement.
    Edward
    The only thing I know, is the progressive discovery of my ignorance