Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Outlets for Washer/Dryer Combo

Quote Originally Posted by shortcircuit1 View Post
    I am curious as to now a days all the individual dryers require 240V,30A circuit but this combo washer/dryer requires 120V for both washer and dryer..How are they able to do that with just 120V?
    Because it probable has just enough capacity to do a load of Ken and Barbie sized clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    Either it is a gas dryer that just uses electrical connection for drum and fan motors and controls or it dries very very slowly.
    That makes sense..

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    That is my thoughts on what would be best.

I think you need to include 1500 VA for the required laundry circuit plus an additional 5000 watts (or nameplate rating if more then 5000) -in accordance with 220.54
    This should be interesting..I was talking to someone about this issue and he was saying that as long as its just has washer and dryer you dont need to have that 20A circuit but if you do have Washer/Dryer with Sink and other stuff then you need 20A circuit..Any thoughts?

This should be interesting..I was talking to someone about this issue and he was saying that as long as its just has washer and dryer you dont need to have that 20A circuit but if you do have Washer/Dryer with Sink and other stuff then you need 20A circuit..Any thoughts?
    If it is a laundry area, you need the special purpose 20A circuit, whether it will likely be used or not.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Are you saying that the equipment itself has only one plug, and it is designed to connect with a 30 amp outlet? If so, you will need to install a 20 amp circuit with a 20 amp receptacle somewhere in the vicinity of the closet. It can be inside the closet or on a nearby wall. Think of it as being used for an iron, which is a laundry-related appliance. Obviously, they won't be able to do their ironing inside the closet. But they may be able to put up the ironing board near the closet. Nothing in the code tells us what the owner is required to plug into the laundry outlet.

On the other hand, does the equipment have two plugs, one configured for a 30 amp outlet and the other configured for a standard 20 amp outlet? If so, you will need a separate 20 amp circuit anyway.

I can think of a perfect scenario that I saw frequently: The single unit stacks would get replaced with two separate units stacked on top of one another. Usually a compact front load washer on the bottom and a separate compact dryer on the top.
    What is esoteric knowledge today will be common knowledge tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    If it is a laundry area, you need the special purpose 20A circuit, whether it will likely be used or not.
    What is exact definition of laundry area?Is it just the area with washer and dryer only or area with washer/dryer and other stuff like sink?

Quote Originally Posted by mbrooke View Post
    The single unit stacks would get replaced with two separate units stacked on top of one another

JAP>

What is exact definition of laundry area?Is it just the area with washer and dryer only or area with washer/dryer and other stuff like sink?
    Laundry Room is not defined. Laundry area is generally understood to be an area designated for the installation of laundry equipment (not defined but generally considered to include any one or more of washer, dryer, ironing board (remember them....) and wash tub/sink.)

Quote Originally Posted by jap View Post

JAP>
    They exist, here is a side by side. Single stack unit on the left; two separate compacts stacked on top of one another on the right:

What is esoteric knowledge today will be common knowledge tomorrow.

I am curious as to now a days all the individual dryers require 240V,30A circuit but this combo washer/dryer requires 120V for both washer and dryer..How are they able to do that with just 120V?
    I think the new condensing dryers originated in Europe and are common there. They work as an air conditioner dehumidifies. Many US brands offer them, but they are more $$ and less available.

Our son tells me that there is a water tank for condensate which may or my not be plumbed somewhere.