Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Outlets for Washer/Dryer Combo

Outlets for Washer/Dryer Combo

Hello,

If there is a stacked Washer/Dryer combo in a dedicated closet do i need to have one receptacle for washer and one for the dryer or one 30A-2P will take care of both the washer and the dryer?

210.11C(2) says that i need to have at least one additional 20 amp branch circuit to supply the laundry receptacle outlets..I dont know what does that laundry receptacle outlets stand for?Is it for regular 20A duplex outlet or for the washer?

If thats the case do i need to install a 20A laundry circuit in addition to Washer/Dryer outlet?

Thanks,
    shortcircuit...

Quote Originally Posted by shortcircuit1 View Post
    If there is a stacked Washer/Dryer combo in a dedicated closet do i need to have one receptacle for washer and one for the dryer or one 30A-2P will take care of both the washer and the dryer?
    Are you saying that the equipment itself has only one plug, and it is designed to connect with a 30 amp outlet? If so, you will need to install a 20 amp circuit with a 20 amp receptacle somewhere in the vicinity of the closet. It can be inside the closet or on a nearby wall. Think of it as being used for an iron, which is a laundry-related appliance. Obviously, they won't be able to do their ironing inside the closet. But they may be able to put up the ironing board near the closet. Nothing in the code tells us what the owner is required to plug into the laundry outlet.

On the other hand, does the equipment have two plugs, one configured for a 30 amp outlet and the other configured for a standard 20 amp outlet? If so, you will need a separate 20 amp circuit anyway.

Charles E. Beck, P.E., Seattle
    Comments based on 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted.

Yes you need both receptacles. We just did a 720 unit building with the stackable washer and dryer requiring a single 30 amp receptacle. So we installed another 20 amp receptacle right next to it. BTW they're both behind the unit.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Probably a good idea to install both anyway aside code, you never know when the stack unit may become a seperate stackable washer/dryer that would require each type of receptacle.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Are you saying that the equipment itself has only one plug, and it is designed to connect with a 30 amp outlet? If so, you will need to install a 20 amp circuit with a 20 amp receptacle somewhere in the vicinity of the closet. It can be inside the closet or on a nearby wall. Think of it as being used for an iron, which is a laundry-related appliance. Obviously, they won't be able to do their ironing inside the closet. But they may be able to put up the ironing board near the closet. Nothing in the code tells us what the owner is required to plug into the laundry outlet.

On the other hand, does the equipment have two plugs, one configured for a 30 amp outlet and the other configured for a standard 20 amp outlet? If so, you will need a separate 20 amp circuit anyway.

So irrespective of whether one simplex outlet for washer and one 30A for dryer i still need to install 20A receptacle in the area?

Quote Originally Posted by shortcircuit1 View Post
    So irrespective of whether one simplex outlet for washer and one 30A for dryer i still need to install 20A receptacle in the area?
    YES, that is correct.
    Curt Swartz
    Electrical Contractor

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    Yes you need both receptacles. We just did a 720 unit building with the stackable washer and dryer requiring a single 30 amp receptacle. So we installed another 20 amp receptacle right next to it. BTW they're both behind the unit.
    That was my question too..If its a stackable unit does one 30A receptacle suffice for both washer and dryer? I have a LG WM3488HW combo unit..I tried looking at manufacturer spec sheet for power connection and it was saying one 3 prong receptacle is required but no where it was saying the size of the receptacle..

Quote Originally Posted by curt swartz View Post
    YES, that is correct.
    Can i include that 20A in general lighting load or as a separate 2400VA in load calculations?

1500va laundry circuit for load calcs.
    Curt Swartz
    Electrical Contractor

Quote Originally Posted by curt swartz View Post
    1500va laundry circuit for load calcs.
    1500VA for laundry circuits includes this receptacle and the one for washer/dryer combo?